Zucchini Crab Cakes


vegetarian crab cakes
The day I saw Crab Cakes being served at a restaurant, I've been dying to eat them! But I was averse to eating those "fake" Vegetarian Crab Cakes which uses "stuff" that looks like meat, but is not actually meat! So, taking things in my own hand, I decided to go for a less glamorous but equally tasty option - Vegetarian "Crab" Cakes made with Zucchini! I had heard about zucchini fritters before, but never tried them; I don't have particular affinity for zucchini too, but as it was the most viable alternative for my crab cakes experiment, I went for it. And to my immense surprise, these Vegetable Zucchini Cakes turned out to be a classic! They are very easy to make, and can definitely give a tough competition to the original Crab Cakes recipe!

Ingredients
3 cups grated zucchini
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup fat-free or low-fat milk
3 tbsp mayonnaise
2 tbsp cilantro -finely chopped
6 green onions - finely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2-3 tsp chili garlic sauce
3 tbsp all purpose flour
2 tbsp olive oil
1 boiled potato - mashed
2 tbsp lemon juice

Method
Drain all water from the grated zucchini by pressing tightly.

In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, bread-crumbs, potato, milk, mayonnaise, cilantro, green onions, salt, pepper and chili sauce. Moisten hands with water and form the mixture into 8 cakes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Lightly coat each cake on both sides with flour. Heat olive oil or butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the crab cakes until crispy and golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Then allow to cool on a tissue paper.

Serve the delicious Vegetarian "Crab" Cakes with a dipping sauce of your choice!

Tip: To prevent the crab cakes from falling apart while cooking, make sure to refrigerate the cakes for at least an hour before frying.


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





21 comments :

CurryLeaf said...

book marked,I will try this and cheese-bell pepper pilaf.looks deleicious,thanks

Finla said...

Hi hi you do know how to make ppl curious, when i saw the title, first thing i thought was, hey she is a vegetarian and how come there is crab, but then i came and checked the recipe saw real veggie cakes :-)
Looks yummm

Unknown said...

Refrigerating the cakes before frying is a great idea.Havent had these though.Nice recipe

Anonymous said...

I have a very similar recipe that I have tried except I used to call them Veggie patties! It's been a while since I made them, surely will try your recipe.

A_and_N said...

Bookmarked!! super recipe, Mansi

Tee said...

That is clever of you ! Zucchini Crab cakes look super delicious! :)

Mahek said...

The zucchini cakes look fabulous!!!

Anonymous said...

Thats a healthy twist to the regular kinds. Will give it a try, thanks for sharing!

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

I'm not a crab fan either but I've heard zucchini "crab" cakes are a great substitute. Zucchini is such a versatile vegetable, it's used in crab cakes, regular cakes and breads!

Johanna GGG said...

I agree with you about zucchini being preferable to something parading as crab - hope to try this recipe as it looks v interesting

raaji said...

love the crab cakes.....thanks for th tips

Mansi said...

thanks a lot people! yeah, the name sounds interesting too, right:D actually, i was skeptical about this too before I made them, but now, I truly vouch for their taste!

glad you all liked it too!

mitr_bayarea said...

Mansi-

Using zucchni on crab cakes is a great idea and your recipe looks simple enough for me to venture to try.

Cynthia said...

How come you didn't invite me over to part-take in these? :)

Anonymous said...

I just made these and they were delish! I think nuts might be a nice touch for next time? I also couldn't find the chili sauce and chili powder worked just fine. The only thing was they wouldn't fry up to crispy...any suggestions for next time?

Shifali said...

Hi Mansi,

Nice recipe, I am not a fan for zuchinni as such but will definetly try this recipe. Looks pretty tempting though.

Anonymous said...

Love the crusty-looking crab cakes. Yum.

Anitha said...

Very Interesting & unusual recipe. Looks very yummy.

Katie Zeller said...

I like this! I love crab cakes, but not at the price of crab. This sounds much better, anyway.
Well done!

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorites. It actually raises my appetite. If it is served with a glass of champagne, I feel myself on top of the world. Your recipe looks seductive too!

Karen said...

Made these over the weekend and they were delightful.