Traditional Pecan Pie with Bourbon-flavored Whipped Cream


A Thanksgiving dinner is never complete without some traditional ingredients like Pecans, Pumkins, Cranberries, Apples and of course Turkey. But as we are making a Vegetarian Thanksgiving, I have to omit turkey out of my preparations. The famous Pecan Pie, traditionally a South-western recipe, has become a trademark for thanksgiving season, and my frequent trips to supermarkets and grocery stores has proved that it's a great hit at tables on this day. On asking at the cash register, I was appaled to hear him say that they sell more than 10,000 pies during the 3 days of thanksgiving weekend!!! Wow, and that's just one store!! I am a huge fan of Marie Callendar's Pecan Pie, and this time I knew I would try making one myself. I decided to get into the holiday mood, and hence added amaretto to the basic recipe. And then I came across the Bourbon-laced whipped cream, and I knew my pie would be incomplete without it! So here's to a rich and gooey pie, and to the ultimate way of saying Thanks!

Ingredients

For the Pecan Pie
3 eggs
1 cup dark corn syrup
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp sifted all-purpose flour
1 tspn vanilla extract
2 tbsp amaretto liquer
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans (Leave some pecans halved for garnish)
1 unbaked 9 inch deep dish pie shell

Bourbon-Flavored Whipped Cream
1 cup heavy cream
2 tbsp confectioners sugar
1 tbsp bourbon

Method

For the Pie
In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the eggs, corn syrup, sugar, flour, amaretto liquer and vanilla until well blended. Just mix, do not beat a lot. Stir in some chopped pecans. Pour the mixture into the pie shell. Layer the top with the remaining halved pecans; you can even form patterns with the nuts if you like. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 degree F for 50 to 55 mins, until a knife inserted half-way between center and edge comes out clean. Remember that the pecan pie will always be a little sticky right in the middle because of the corn syrup. Once done, let it cool completely on the wire rack before slicing it.

For the Bourbon-Whipped Cream
Beat or whisk the cream, sugar, and bourbon until soft peaks form and set aside.

Slice the Pecan Pie once it cools down to room temperature. Then transfer a slice to a serving dish and garnish with chocolate sauce if desired and a lavish dollop of Bourbon-flavored Whipped Cream on the side! Hope this adds a warm touch to your thanksgiving dinner menu.

Tip: You can even add chocolate chips into the mixture if you like to make Chocolate-Pecan Pie. Amaretto and Bourbon in the whipped cream do add a nice touch to the holiday mood, but you can do the pie without them too if you wish.

Related Thanksgiving Recipes:
Roasted Pumpkin and Onion Bisque
Vegetarian Lasagna
Marshmallow and Chocolate Mud Cookies
Chocolate and Coffee Martini


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





21 comments :

Rina said...

Pecan pies is my fav. Looks gr8. Pies are always perfect with whipped cream.

FH said...

YUMMY, love the Pecan Pie!:)
Bourbon sounds great too.

Siri said...

Wow Mansi, the pie looks sooooooooo yummy, Indeed an ideal way to say 'THANKS'!..:)

- Siri

Kribha said...

I know I keep on saying this. Your desserts are too good. I get tempted like anything after seeing your posts. Beautiful restaurant type presentation.

Anonymous said...

brilliant pie! some traditions can never be broken, and this is one of those! I'm definitely making your pumpkin bisque and this pecan pie for thanksgiving this year, and its a way of saying "Thanks" to you for all the wonderful recipes you've shared with us!!:)

-Sharon

Mansi said...

Asham Siri, kribha - thanks for the compliments! Kribha, it's ok, I like hearing them again and again:)

Sharon - I am so happy and contented on reading your comment; that one sentence made my day and my thanksgiving, really!!

Red Chillies said...

Mansi, Such a beautiful pie. I had pecan pie for Office Thanksgiving lunch and could not have enough of it. You have answered my prayers with lovely recipe.

AnuSriram said...

Yummy.... What a gr8 thanksgiving treat....hmmmmm.... Can i have a piece of that?

musical said...

I enjoyed a lovely pecan-cranberry delight y'day and i have more waiting for me here :). Yup, one does need a pecan pie fix during Thanksgiving :).

Anonymous said...

Yeah we always get a pecan or pumkin pie from outside, but this time I'm bent on making one myself to impress my mother-in-law:) I think I'm gonna use your recipe here!

-Cheryl

Finla said...

I love pecan pie. I alway buy from the bakers as i never make them at home. My excuse is if i am buying from the shop then i at just one slice and if i make them at home i might eat the whole lot.

Cris said...

You rock!!! I love pecan pie! Have a nice Thanksgiving! xoxox

Katie Zeller said...

Pecan Pie - sooooo good!
Sooooo many calories! I know, one is not suppposed to count, but...
I once had a chocolate pecan pie...it was indescribable... It's been years and I still remember it fondly...
Time to go eat something healthy...

ceedy said...

Happy Thanksgiving !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Love this pie! Happy Thanksgiving!

Paz

Chef Jeena said...

This tart sounds so more-ish! Looks lovely . :)

zlamushka said...

Holly crappo, what a gorgeous cake. This is sooo bookmarked in my top to-do recipe colllection. I love the sound of bourboun topping. Aaahhhh, will make double of that one ;-)

Latha Narasimhan said...

So delicious! I wish I could bake like you! While I was going through the wraps, I could hardly wait to read the peacan pie! :D

chemcookit said...

This looks really good! I never had a Pecan Pie with liquor in or with it!! :)

Mansi said...

Thanks people! sometimes things just click, and so did the flavors in this Pie with Bourbon whipping! it was awesome! so you'll have to try it!!

Laurie Constantino said...

Amaretto in the pie and bourbon in the whipped cream - YUM!!!