Hot and Spicy Samosas - Heralding the first raindrops !!


What I love about cooking is that there is so much variety and experimentation to do, that you never get tired, and there's always a challenge to look forward to. Though I usually shy away from fried foods, there is one time when I absolutely feel eating something fried is justified! Yes, I'm talking about Rain!!(any Indian would know how we flocked over samosas and vada paavs or moms got busy making bhajiyas as soon as the first rain sets in!!) The two most well-received rain-time snacks are Bhajiyas and Samosas. Here is my recipe for some hot and spicy Vegetable Samosas, a sure hit ampng adults and kids. And they taste so good, you don't really need to wait for rain to enjoy them!!

Ingredients
For the Filling
4-5 large potatoes - boiled and mashed
1 cup peas - boiled
1/2 cup onions - chopped finely
3-4 tbsp coriander - chopped finely
2 tbsp cumin seeds
2-3 tsp each of turmeric powder, red chilli powder and garam masala
3 tsp salt
2-3 green chillies - chopped
1 tbsp garlic paste

For the Shell
5-6 cups all-purpose flour (maida)
2 tsp salt
3-4 tbsp oil
warm water for kneading the dough
Oil for frying

Method
For the filling, set a pan on medium heat and add the cumin seeds and grren chillies. Next add the garlic paste and onions and saute for a minute. Then add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Keep aside.

For the shell, mix the salt and flour together and add the oil to it. Mix well so that the entire flour is oiled and forms crumbles. Now knead the dough (not too thin or soft, just pliable enough) using warm water. This helps make the crust more crispier. Use very little water at a time so that you do not make the dough to watery.Cover with a wet cloth and leave aside for 10-15 mins.

Now take a small portion of dough, roll into a ball and use a rolling pin and some extra flour to form a large 5"x5" circular shaped puri. Cut into 2 semi-spheres using a knife. Fill 2 tbsp of the filling in the center of one portion, then roll the 2 sides/edges over the filling to form a triangle. use light oil and water mixture on the edges to seal them properly on all 3 sides and form a samosa. Make all the samosas in this way and refrigerate for 5 mins. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large pan. Drop 2 samosas in the frying pan at a time and fry on both sides at low-to-medium flame till they turn into a light golden color (about 2-3 mins). Do not over-fry. Remove and drain them on a tissue paper. You can reheat them in the microwave or oven if you want to savour them later.

Serve hot with Green Chutney or my classic Date-Tamarind-Raisin Chutney or even fresh Salsa!!

Tip: Fry your samosas over even medium heat and always re-heat them (fry again) before serving. This makes them extra-crispy! And of course, kneading the dough with warm water is also necessary to add crispiness.


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





16 comments :

Cris said...

I love samosas! And the story behind it is so nice.

FH said...

WOOHOO! Send me some rain first to NC and then follow with the yummy Samosas!:))

KellytheCulinarian said...

These sound familiar, perhaps a bit like perogies, except fried. Either way, potatoes and deep frying sounds delicious to me!

Anh said...

YUm! I love samosas, and your recipe sounds good!

Padma said...

Wow I will try this for sure, such a great recipe. Lastime when I tried frying samosas they disastrously failed in color n taste. Your looks so yummy

Mansi said...

Asha- I wish I had the power to send rain..I can start singing Raag Megh Malahar for you though:)

Cris, Kelly, Anh - thanks for your comments!

Padma - they didn't turn out exactly as i wanted them too...but its alway a challenge to make the dough perfect!

Sreelu said...

Manasi,

Rain drop hot samosas,hot chai and a good book, life cannot get any better than that.
samaosa's look delish !!

Fruity said...

It looks familiar and I think it is spicy, too spicy for me at times ..

Tee said...

who doesn't love Samosas or vada paav or pakodas...especially on a rainy day!!!
Your samosas look absolutely delish...do send some here ;)

Latha Narasimhan said...

It is pouring in Bangalore! Samosas! name one Indian who would'nt love this!

Padmaja said...

Samosas and Rain drops tingling!!
woh!! what an experience right!!!
loved u'r write up!!!

Sharmi said...

I am a great fan of samosas!! but hate making them. I want them hot and ready made:) today I made mirchi baaji for welcoming rain.

Anonymous said...

wow, the samosas look soo good!!! I'm gonna try your recipe..but i think right now I need to go get some samosas from the market to eat first!:)

Mansi said...

perfect samosas Mansi!! can't wait to try my hand at these!:)

Rohini's kitchen said...

Samosa looks awesome! I love samosas.

karuna said...

rains always remind us indians, about tea, samosas, and pakodas....chk out my blog at http://myluvforfood.blogspot.com/