Spinach Pasta with Roasted Garlic & Sun-dried Tomato Sauce


spinach pasta
There's nothing like a plate of spinach pasta served as dinner on a weeknight, especially when its smelling of garlic and looks as pretty as this one! Improvising on my previous recipe, I made these again last night, albeit with a few delicious changes. Cherry Tomatoes, of course were the star ingredients, but I went ahead and added a paste of roasted garlic, pine-nuts and some sun-dried tomatoes to the sauce, which gave it a wonderful flavor! This time, I also went for lightly roasted tomatoes instead of plain ones, which makes such a huge difference. So here's the edited and improved version of Spinach Fettuccine with Roasted Garlic and Tomato Sauce, that is simple and tasty to serve as weeknight dinner!

Ingredients
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 medium onion - finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves - minced
1 tspn fresh lemon juice
freshly ground pepper - to taste
salt - to taste
2 tbsp white wine (optional)
1 cup cherry tomatoes
1 tsp thyme leaves
1/2 cup parmesan cheese - freshly grated
1/2 pound fresh spinach fettuccine

Ground Paste (optional)
3 cloves of roasted garlic
2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes
1 tsp pine nuts
1 tbsp olive oil
Roast the garlic cloves and pine-nuts separately, then grind it all together with olive oil to make a fine paste.

Method
Cook the spinach fettucini in boiling water with 1 tbsp olive oil until tender. make the Ground paste and keep it aside.

Gently grease the tomatoes with olive oil and line them in a baking tray. Now roast at 250 deg F for about 7-8 mins, until lightly smoked and skin appears a little roasted.

Saute the onion in oil until tender and glossy. Add the minced garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper and wine. Let it simmer for 5 more minutes. Now add the roasted garlic and sun-dried tomato paste to this and mix well.

Add the roasted cherry tomatoes to this mixture. Lower the flame and cover with a lid. Let the tomatoes soak in the wine and garlic, but do not let them become mushy and overcooked. Season with thyme and sprinkle more roasted pine nuts on the top if you like.

Spread the cooked pasta on a plate. Top it with a generous helping of the sauce. Season with some more salt and pepper if needed; then top with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese!

This pasta recipe is my current favorite, as it has half the calories of a Fettucini Alfredo, and is very easy to make. Smelling of fresh roasted garlic, its hard to resist a plate of this Spinach Fettucini, don't you think!

Related Recipes:
Stuffed Ravioli in Saffron & Tomato Cream Sauce
Baked Rigatoni with Garlic & Basil Marinara Sauce
Fettucini in Almond Pesto Sauce


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





27 comments :

Patsyk said...

Looks delicious! I agree, pasta dishes are so easy to improvise and come up with whatever sounds good at the moment. Great for weeknights!

Anonymous said...

I never tried spinach fettucini. Your recipe looks very simple and Love to try it sometime. Lovely presentation.

Sunshinemom said...

These look so good! I haven't had spinach fettucine as I am little wary of the taste! I really admire the variety in your blog right from Indian cuisine to other global cuisine!

Anonymous said...

This looks great. I love pasta. It makes such an inviting palate for creative expression. It's also a great way to stretch out a dish when you wind up with more dinner guests than expected...

A_and_N said...

Will surely try sometime, Mansi. We eat Pasta atleast once a week!

karuna said...

the spinach fettucini, looks awesome. and pretty simple too.
thanks for the recipe

Anonymous said...

That is looking awesome mansi.. Despite of high calories I love Fettucini alfredo

Anonymous said...

I've never had spinach fettucini before so I decided to give it a try, with the help of your recipe ofcourse :P But I absolutely loved it. Not a fan of garlic but I put it in there anyway and really enjoyed it!

Bhawana said...

this looks delicious and very tempting, though I never heard of this :).

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

This is a pretty and simple weeknight meal. The spinach noodles against the tomatoes look very Italian!

I'm glad you went with the cherry tomatoes. In my neck of the woods, the farmer's markets are just busting with tomatoes of all sorts now, so this gives me inspiration to use them.

Mints! said...

Variety of pasta is something I enjoy cooking too. Good recipe.

There is something waiting for you on my blog.

Chef Jeena said...

Hi Mansi I love your sites new look! Great healthy recipe it look sso delicious. :-)

Uma said...

what a delicious fettucini! looks so colorful too!

notyet100 said...

NICE VARIATION OF PASTA,..:-)

Anonymous said...

looks absolutely yummy and simple to whip together!

Anonymous said...

Love the colors. Half the calories of alfredo? Sing me up.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I recently used sweet cherry tomatoes in a pasta dish and liked it very much! Can't wait to try this recipe as I am a big fan of pasta (low fat).

Unknown said...

Looks so delicious....Like the contrast of colour and flavours.

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

oh, you are so good w/ all the Italian dishes!!! this one looks lovely as well...

Anonymous said...

Unbelivable food. Sound delicious.

Dragon said...

Pasta is a great way to be creative. Your spinach pasta looks amazing!

Anonymous said...

Spinach pasta..never heard of this healthier version but it looks so wonderful....the recipe is awesome too !

thomas said...

Love what your doing and the yummy pictures too! I linked you up on my wine blog! Come by for some wine reviews to go along with the cuisine! Cheers!

zobars said...

That pasta can just be in my tummy right now. I feel like making it now. No recipes since long. cannot wait for what you have in store for Valentine's day.

Anonymous said...

I love spinach pasta, if I'm feeling really Italian I throw in some black olives as well, takes me back to a little Trattoria in Roma!
I'm hungry now ;0)

Anonymous said...

spinach fettucini,looks cool... the picture looks so inviting.

Dazy said...

That's my kind of meal when I am alone. That and a glass of wine and a chick movie! Looks perfect!