Thumbprint Cookies with Jam


Baking cookies is the best way to placate yourself and your kids, and for me, its also a favorite passtime! What I love about cookies is that they can be simple and festive at the same time. I had my eyes on Cenk's thumbprint cookies since a long time. The mere sight of these colorful cookies was enough to motivate me to make my own eggless Jam Thumbprint Cookies. The name 'thumbprint' comes from the fact that you use your "thumb" to make an indentation into each ball of dough which is then filled with some jam. The best part is that these tiny delights are very easy to make and extremely versatile. Just follow the basic recipe and use your choice of fruit flavors or even chocolate as a filling. No matter what's the occasion, they are sure to be a hit!

Ingredients
Makes about 18-20 cookies

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup ground walnuts
4 oz butter - at room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup mixed-fruit jam (or any other of your choice)

Method
Preheat your oven to 350 deg F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

In a bowl, cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy, about 7-8 mins.

In another bowl, whisk together the flour and ground walnuts and add to the creamed butter mixture. Mix until well combined to form a soft dough. Do not knead a lot as this can get pretty sticky. Use some all-purpose flour for dusting.

Now refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes. This makes is easier to shape the cookies.

Take a teaspoonful of dough in your hand, form a small ball, and press lightly in the center with your finger to make a shallow hole (use light pressure with your thum or index finger)

Arrange the cookies on the baking trays, 2 inches apart. Leave enough space as they will spread a bit as they bake. Bake for 15 minutes, until the edges are slightly colored and the cookies look firm.

Let the cookies cool completely on a wire rack, then fill the holes with your favorite jam.

These Thumbprint Jam Cookies are pretty to look at, easy to make and delicious to eat, and eggless too! The semi-hard texture with nuts is nicely balanced with the smooth sweetness of the jam, making this recipe to be a sure-shot winner. I'm so glad I tried them and will definitely be baking more of these!

Similar Recipes:
Eggless Almond Cookies (Nankhatai)
Peppermint-Vanilla Butter Cookies
Chewy Chocolate-Chip Cookies


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





28 comments :

amna said...

reminds me of jim jam biscuits, my fave as a kid :)

Rosie said...

I just love these little gems of thumbprint cookies. Great bake and great pics :)

Rosie x

Swati said...

Very true Mansi..These are a hit always... with/without an occasion..Love these!!

Anonymous said...

I love thumbprint cookies... there's just something so nice and old-fashioned about them.

EC said...

The cookies look so lovely and tempting

bee said...

these cookies look great. i love cenk's blog.

Anonymous said...

these are my absolute favorites Mansi! yours look great! lovely pic:)

-sarah

Mansi said...

Thanks folks! yeah, these cookies do have an appeal, especially as they remind you of your childhood:) but I really like how simple and festive they are:) and the fact that they are eggless is an added bonus to a few:)

kamala said...

Looks very simple but delicious mansi.I am going to try this soon

@the_whisk_affair said...

hey mansi, thanks for visiting my blog...you have a great blog here, very impressive. count me in as a regular from now on!!

Unknown said...

Hey Mansi, Nice cookies. Chocolate or hazelnut is good idea. I have posted earlier similiar cookies using almond meal.Mixed jam seems to be also a great idea.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for dropping by and mentioning about the thumbprint cookies. They are so simple to make yet look fabulous. I have added it to my list. I'll update the "Eggless Cookies" shortly.

Anonymous said...

these look awesome! I've been looking for an eggless recipe and your cookies seem to fit the bill! I'll try this tonight with nutella:)

-sharon

Trupti said...

cookies looks delicious & nice photos manasi

Richa said...

they look gorgeous :)

test it comm said...

Those look good! Jam thumbprint cookies are on my to make list.

Red Chillies said...

The cookies with jam filled in looks delish! You are such an expert baker Mansi.

Sagari said...

beautiful cookies mansi

Swati Raman Garg said...

these cookies are so tempting... i want an oven :(

Mansi said...

thanks a lot ppl! your comments and appreciation make me be a better cook every day and inspire me to post better recipes and articles here:) thanks for all the support!!:D

SMN said...

Feel like grabng some there Manasi

Anonymous said...

Very simple and innovative cookies there, Mansi.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Im sure my kid will love this...will try it ...

Unknown said...

cute cookies..

Namratha said...

These cookies were the very first I made for Christmas last year, they look delicious Mansi! :)

Kalai said...

The very sight of those cookies put a smile on my face, Mansi! They look wonderful! :)

Miri said...

Jim Jam biscuits were my favourite as a kid - thanks for reminding me , would love to make these for my daughter!! They look so cute!

Purnima said...

Me,hub,kids,neighbours all loved it! It had that extra crisp n crunch in them.Do chk pic on my post today. :D