Raspberry Lassi (Smoothie)


Last week we witnessed temperatures peaking at 90, and my gym is suddenly so full of people trying to get into shape for the beach that there's no doubt in my mind that summer is definitely here! And that means more sun, more barbecues and more cool and refreshing drinks. We celebrated the onset of summer with the luscious Rasperry Lassi, which is a fancy name for a smoothie or yoghurt cooler. Lassi is a traditional Indian yogurt drink which originated from the state of Punjab. Its more like a thick-shake, but with yoghurt and milk. Over time, the basic recipe underwent a makeover with addition of fruits and other flavors. Everyone is familiar with the Mango Lassi, which you must have seen on several restaurant menus. But this Raspberry Lassi is a class apart, because the tartness of the raspberry works perfect blended with the yoghurt, and it looks so pretty you can serve it as a light dessert too!

I used fresh raspberries and pureed them in a blender, then passed it through a colander/sieve to remove the seeds. You can use fresh fruits or ready-made raspberry sauce. Other interesting and tasty variations would be mangoes or strawberries. For now, this raspberry delight is on its way to Dee who's hosting this month's AFAM-Raspberries event!

Ingredients
2 cups plain or vanilla yoghurt
1 cup milk
6-8 ice cubes
3/4 cup raspberry puree
3 tbsp sugar(or more if needed)

Method
Make sure the raspberry puree does not have seeds in it. Strain it through a sieve to remove seeds as much as possible. A few tiny seeds here and there are fine.

Add the ice cubes to a blender cup and crush to form powder.

Now mix all the remaining ingredients in a blender with the ice and power on the blend or puree setting till everything is uniformly combined.

Pour in tall glasses and garnish with more fresh raspberries. Serve the Raspberry Lassi chilled and fresh, and raise a toast to the beginning of summer!

Similar Recipes:
Banana and Peanut Butter Smoothie
Tropical Fruit Punch Lemonade
Almond-Mocha Frappucino


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





28 comments :

amna said...

wow! never thot of this combo!

glamah16 said...

I think I'd prefer the Raspeberry Lassi. How yum.

kamala said...

Cool and refreshing drink Mansi.

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Thanks for the smoothie idea. Smoothies were a standard breakfast for me until recently. I had to stop because the protein powder I was using was giving me heartburn. (I get heartburn from the oddest things; bananas, Splenda, quinoa, whey powder.) This looks like a great and filling alternative and I love love love raspberries. I can't wait for the season to start so I can do some serious berry picking.

FH said...

Hi Mansi, I just had to come here and tell you that I made your "Paneer Butter Masala" today, which came out very very delicious! I added Peas and Eggs to it please the kids!:D
Although I make the gravy for my Butter chicken same as your paneer masala, soaking the sauteed Paneer in salt and turmeric water was absolutely brilliant! Thank you so much for that tip,will serve this with Jeera rice tonight!:))
Me? Right in the middle of Spring allergy,on medication and trying to rest my eyes as much as I can now but had to deal with it almost every Spring,so no big deal to me! Take care, will see you next month!:)
Love the Lassi with Raspberries!

Mansi said...

thanks ppl! I'm glad you'll liked it!

Nags , glamah - this combo is much tastier and prettier than mangoes, and I'm a big mango lassi fan!

kamala - thanks gal!

SDC - so sorry to hear about your allergies! we are going berry-picking this weekend; hope u get to do it soon too!:)

Asha - I'm so glad to see u here! and even more happy that the paneer butter masala turned out great for you! hope u feel better soon!:)

sarah - you guessed it right:) it surely looks luscious and romantic!

Rupa said...

Wow!!!Looks so refreshing..will have for my breakfast right now..Thanks

Uma said...

lovely combo. so refreshing.

Kalai said...

What a looker!! I love the idea of raspberries here. Awesome idea, Mansi! :)

Tee said...

Wow! I believe you and I am sure it must be tasting really good. Last weekend we made Strawberry lassi and it was tasting heavenly! I was even thinking of posting it ...but then I didn't take a picture....will do it next time i make it.

Dee said...

Love the smoothie idea mansi, berries are my favorite fruit!!

Unknown said...

looks realy delicious!

Mansi said...

I'm glad so many of you liked it!

Ben- thanks so much for passing me the "E" award dude! you are the second one to have bestowed this honor upon this blog, and I have to thank all my readers and "critics" for this!:)D

LogicGirl said...

I've never tried it with raspberries before. Interesting idea. I think I'll try it this week, but I will probably skip the sugar.

Check out what I did with frozen strawberries, milk, OJ and vanilla whey protein.

http://www.recipes.thelogicgirl.com/2008/04/strawberry-sherbet.html

Lisa Turner said...

Brilliant idea Mansi! I really like lassie but hadn't considered adding raspberry. A must try.

Bong Mom said...

Mmmmmmmmmm cool, you are having a hot summer already

Red Chillies said...

I so hear you about summer! Whatever happened to spring? But love this unique idea of yogurt and berries!

Swati Raman Garg said...

this ones refreshing...mansi i made koftas 2 dayd back and i added almonds as u did ... it was wonderful.. i have linked back to u ... u r superb ...

Rosie said...

Oh this is a lovely combo of a drink Mansi!! Just love it!!

Rosie x

Richa said...

yumm! i made blueberry smoothie few days back!

ranji said...

An award for u :).Plz chk my blog.

Kana said...

Mansi:

This is a great way to cool off when the temperature rises. Just lovely!

Jagruti Shah said...

Hi Mansi, I love the lassi but never tried with raspberries.Thanks for this brilliant idea

Anonymous said...

Its 85 degrees right now and I am so craving for this drink! the pic looks gorgeous, lovely color!:)

-anita

Vani said...

Perfect for summers! Nice combo there, Mansi!

EC said...

wow..thats an ideal cooler...thanks for sending it to the event

Namratha said...

Perfect indeed for this season...bring it on!!! :)

Andhra Flavors said...

Looks so refreshing..