Low-Fat Cranberry-Walnut Scones (Healthy Breakfast)


It's always great to have a "sweet start" to a day, and as breakfast is the first important meal of the day, having something sweet in the morning balances your caffeine, but it's an added bonus if its a healthy breakfast, like these wonderful Eggless Cranberry-Walnut Breakfast Scones. Low in fat, these semi-sweet scones are packed with the goodness of cranberries and walnuts that make this a healthy sweet treat any time of the day!

This recipe is heavily adapted from Jeanne Lemlin's cookbook Vegetarian Classics. She has a Black-currant Buttermilk Scones recipe which I modified to make these cranberry and walnut scones; I essentially chose to make mine eggless, replaced part of the buttermilk with plain milk and halved the butter content to make these healthy scones. These scones have become a regular breakfast delight in our house because my husband loves the cruncy-chewy and not-so-sweet flavor, at the same time, I can be sure that I am feeding him something healthy and nutritious!

Ingredients
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar (or more if you like them sweeter)
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup walnuts - chopped
2 tbsp butter or margarine
1/2-3/4th cup milk

Method
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. You can even do this with your fingertips. Stir in the cranberries and walnuts, then slowly add the milk, just until the dough is moistened. Make a tough dough like cookies.

On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough gently, 5 to 10 times. Pat into a 1-inch-thick round. Cut into 8-12 wedges with a buttered knife; place on a baking sheet, 2 inches apart. Sprinkle some more brown sugar if desired. Bake until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack before trying to remove them.

Serve these healthy low-fat cranberry scones with your morning tea or coffee, or with a dollop of jam any time of the day!

Similar Recipes:
Low-Fat Blueberry Muffins
Cherry & Almond Sour Cream Scones
Healthy Cranberry-Pistachio Biscotti
Low-Calorie Pear & Almond Cake


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





39 comments :

Finla said...

Scones with cranberry looks yumm. I do agee it is always wonderful to have a sweet start in the morning.

Suganya said...

Mansi, Thank you so much for making these scones healthy. I will try this one of these days :)

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Mansi

Nice one for bfast :)

Purnima said...

Mansi, they r eggless scones! Wow..look truly yum!(Pls re-chk my stained glass cookies, hv added your style of twin color cookies there, hv to try out urs too!Hope u don't mind me posting ..do let me know :) )

Kalai said...

Wonderful scones, Mansi! Would love these for breakfast of with a cup of tea/coffee. :)

Anonymous said...

Look very tasty! I think I prefer scones without egg anyway. It makes it less cake-like and more shortbread-like. Of course, I usually put cream in mine, which makes it not so healthy. :-(

Rina said...

Wow!!! Mansi can't ask for anything better.. Nice recipe

FH said...

YUM!! Looks almost like Biscotti. Good one Mnasi. I have eggless Lemon Biscuits at FH!:)

Trupti said...

wonderful scones Manasi. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Anonymous said...

wow, these are the perfect scones! I love the flavor and eggless makes it something that my family can enjoy!!

great recipe Mansi!

~Anjali

Anonymous said...

these are so going on my to-do list!! brilliant, and the texture looks just perfect! not too cake-like, nor brittle:)

David

Anonymous said...

that looks and sounds very inviting! I'd love to keep these for my kids:) Scones are my favorites with tea, btw!

~Sarah C

Mansi said...

Thanks folks! sorry for the late repsonse!:)

These scones turned out really well, even my husband, who's not too much of a sweet-lover liked them a lot! they are not too sweet, and they stay fresh for at least 10-12 days! so you can store them and keep.

Definitely a tasty and healthy snack or breakfast option! I'm glad you all liked it:)

Richa said...

lovely! cranberry & walnuts, yummmmmmm :)

Anonymous said...

that's a great recipe, and I love all others in the cookbook you mentioned too! nice pic:)

Andy

Manju said...

soo tasty n soo healthy too!!:):)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

This is really nice. Just a question. Doesn't reducing the butter affect the texture of the scones?

Mansi said...

Aparna - yes, reducing butter will make the scones more grainy and a little less softer, and that's why I added a little more milk. but if you don't have really low-fat constraints, try using 6 tbsp butter or margarine and you'll get the perfect texture!:)

hope this helps!:)

Ben - I could have this breakfast any day:)

Unknown said...

hey mansi...gr8 looking scones....nice start to the day:)).thanks for sharing.

Archana Doshi said...

I love savory and hot breakfast :). But, I love scones, a great for that tea time snack for me. Thanks for sharing. Am sure my kids will love it. Another to the "to try list"

Daily Meals said...

Healthy scones...look yummy Mansi!

Sia said...

mansi, i love eggless recipes and this one seems like a winner recipe. i had posted eggless scones some months back. have a look at it when u have time. ingredinets seems similar to what i used(i add little curds too).

sandhya said...

would love to have these anytime... this is on my to-do list... plz chk out my blog i passed you an award..

Miri said...

I usually dont like sweet stuff for breakfast, but these look like they dont have that much sugar in them - the cranberries must be enough for some great flavour!

Cris said...

I love cranberry recipes and hate the fact that I cannot find cranberries here so easily, when we do, they are so expensive, hard to believe.

Mansi said...

saswati, archana, DM - yeah, these are perfect snacks for any time, and great for kids!

Sia - your recipe looks great too, and yeah, pretty similar to mine:)

Sandhya - thanks so much for passing me the award girl!

Miri- they are perfect for breakfast as they are not too sweet, and are pretty darn healthy!

Cris - try using dried cranberries; they work fine, and are much cheaper than you'd think!

AnuSriram said...

Looks Wonderful and Delicious Mansi. They are nutritious too...

Rosie said...

These scones are so delicious Mansi for b/fast. I lovely the sound of cranberries being added what a kick start as you say to the day - perfect!

Rosie x

Lisa Turner said...

I'm a huge fan of quick breads. Perfect recipe. I will have to try these for sure. I'm going to add dry cranberries to my grocery list right now as I am all out.

Rosie said...

These are a must bake Mansi - bookmarked on my baking list to do!!

Rosie x

Unknown said...

I definitely need to try these. I love cranberry anything, and it's a bonus that these are healthy! Thanks for participating in Eat to the Beat :)

Anonymous said...

Oh! We love croquettes! We always order extra when we go to our Japanese restaurants, they are soooo good. Now you've inspired us to make them!

Chandani said...

Hey Mansi, just stumbled upon your blog few days ago...tried these scones today and they turned out superb!!! thanks for the recipe...will now be a frequent visitor here:)

Anonymous said...

wow, those look just like what I needed!! I am baking them tonight!:) I love all your recipes, and thanks for bringing to us a truly amazing vegetarian food blog!!:)

Mansi said...

Thanks for all your wonderful support folks! Amy - this blog wouldn't be "wonderful" without all of you trying out my recipes, checking on me everyday and posting your feedback!:)

my readers are my biggest inspiration and critics, so keep visiting!

Chandani said...

made them today with choco-chips and pistachios..they are so yummy!!!!

The Apron Queen said...

Looks delicious! Can't believe it's healthy too!Healthier anyway!

Stop by for a visit. I'll even save one of my baked apples for you! :D

Confessions of an Apron Queen: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com

shveta said...

its a task these days to get even simple recipes (baked ones) without eggs.
Good recipe and that too healthy

Anonymous said...

This is the best low fat scone recipe i have tried. I made a few alterations. I add the zest of one orange, skip the walnuts and replace it with one third cup of white chocolate chips. Delicious!