Healthy and Low-Fat Blueberry Muffins (Also with Eggless version)


These low-fat Blueberry Muffins are my current friends in my diet plan. People who do not have to do anything special to maintain their healthy weight and slim figure are eternally BLESSED!!! But not all of us are so lucky, and the moment you eat those few extra calories, they start showing themselves on our body! Does this mean you are not supposed to indulge in culinary delights?? Absolutely not! There was a time when dieticians and nutritionists were the only ones who could tell you what should be a part of your healthy diet, but now, thanks to the power of the web and numerous online weight-loss tutorials, having a healthy weight and a figure or physique that you could be proud of is no longer a dream! Here's one such diet-food dessert or snack recipe that I tried when I was on my weight-loss plan - Blueberry Muffins - adapted from one of Denise Austin's recipes, they are not only tasty and filling, but you wouldn't have to think twice about your weight while relishing these!!

Nutrition Info: These low-fat muffins are high in fiber because of the oats, and help you keep satiated for a longer time. They have roughly 150 calories, no carbs, high protein content and around 3 grams of fat. Blueberries are the best source of antioxidants, and as there is very little sugar involved, you can replace it with artificial sweeteners to make a diabetic version of the recipe. For the Vegan version, use water instead of milk. There, with all these variations, it can easily be used as one of your 5 meals a day, though I'd not recommend eating it everyday!:)

Ingredients
3/4 th cup all-purpose flour
1-1/4th cup quick cooking oats or whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar (or 1 cup honey)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tspn salt
2 egg whites
1/2 cup low-fat milk or water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw them)

Eggless Version: Eggs act as leavening agents and give fluff and texture to baked dishes, so if you use egg substitutes you might have to compromise on the softness a little. However, you can use mashed bananas or mashed silken tofu instead of eggs. Some products like "Ener-G" are available in some markets which are egg replacements and can be used effectively. If the recipe calls for only 1-2 eggs, you can just skip them and use warm whole milk or even Applesauce. Hope this note helps vegans to enjoy this and other such lovely recipes without eggs.

Method
In one bowl, combine the flour, oats, salt, baking powder, baking soda and sugar. In another bowl, beat egg whites, milk or water and oil. Whisk for 5-7 mins till soft peaks are seen. Stir into the flour mixture and mix together; do not beat a lot, just until everything is evenly combined (the batter should be lumpy, not too smooth). Fold in the blueberries gently.

Now take the muffin cups and grease them with cooking spray (try not using oil or butter)Fill each cup upto the 3/4th level. Bake at 400 degrees F for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Once done. allow to cool completely, then gently remove from the cups and enjoy these delicious low-fat muffins any time of the day.

These healthy low-fat blueberry muffins serve to be perfect breakfast or dessert treats. Hope this recipe helps to satiate the sweet tooth of many a calorie-conscious diet-lovers out there!!


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





36 comments :

Kribha said...

Mansi, slow down. I've got so many of your recipes already marked. This looks yummy too. My hubby is a big fan of blueberry muffins. Will try it sometime.

Padma said...

Blue berry muffins, I am ready for it anytime....simply love it!

FH said...

I know!! Some skinnies eat all they want and still are stick like and I eat in moderation and I still am plump anyway! Don't you hate that?:D It's just genetics.I look like my mom, no matter what I do.I am not saying it's bad, that's just how it is, I better accept and move on!:)
But I can always try. These Muffins are perfect for that! Looks moist and delicious:)

Mansi said...

Kribha, what to do, these harsh event deadlines all over our food blogosphere are keeping me on my toes!!:D and put these muffin on the top of your list, 'coz they are just great!!

Cris said...

Mansi, I can't keep up with your recipes, there are so many I would love to try! hehehe This looks great! I published the peach recipe, will send you an e-mail soon ok! Take care.

Swaruchy said...

Mansi...I love these muffins...Up for it anytime dear :-)

Katie Zeller said...

Love blueberry muffins. Great for breakfast... and to munch on on the way to the garden...hmmm...
As to the weight thing, I've always thought it particularly unfair that there are people with the metabolism of a humming bird who don't really care what they eat...

Richa said...

those muffins look so delicious, modha ma pani aavey che :) i guess the egg white is a must right??

USHA said...

Hi Mansi,

Nice to see your comment in my blog...hey i was literally shocked after seeing such a variety of item...really i liked all the item alot...muffins looks gr8 dear.

Hima said...

I love muffins and fat free would be a treat for me. I am also planning of making raspberry muffins, let me see if I can finish them and put up on my site. Thanks for sending these lovely muffins on my way mansi. See you at the round up

Mansi said...

Richa, you can use butter instead of the egg white...but that wouldn't be low-fat:) pan it'll worl, maybe the muffins will be a little hard..still, they'll be eggless:)

Dwiana P said...

Hi, thanks for stopping by my blog. Nice blog you have here and good recipe you share. This muffin absolutely look yummy.

Prajusha said...

mansi,
muffins is my little one's favourite and this looks nice.
thanks for the recipe

Namratha said...

Wow, that is one remarkable recipe! They look so good, definitely not diet-like!! You have a lovely blog here dear, wonder why I wasn't here sooner :)

amna said...

hello mansi.. muffins look so yummy!

i am so sorry abt AFAM.. peaches are a rarity in hyderabad and if i need to get them, i have to go some 20km.. and they are expensive too..

i wud have surely participated otherwise :(

good luck with the round up!

sunita said...

Those are great looking muffins indeed...and so very healthy.

Kajal@aapplemint said...

man u are really fast !!! so many posts :)) these muffins sound too good to be true. "They have roughly 150 calories, no carbs, high protein content and around 3 grams of fat. Blueberries are the best source of antioxidants, and as there is very little sugar involved, you can replace it with artificial sweeteners to make a diabetic version of the recipe." wow !!!!

Finla said...

They are looking super delicious.
Yeah i do agree with you some of the women i know can eat and eat and they don't even add 1 kg. And i say i just have to pass near a food i put on weight.

Cynthia said...

I love Kribha's comment (lol)

DK said...

oh u r sooooooo right..I have known some ppl who eat like there is no 2morrow, even to the extent of commenting that I eat sooo little. But when u luk at them and me, it luks the opposite! How I hate that! God's will i guess...Am yet to make something with blueberries..will try this one as my firsts..BTW, my entry for ur event is soon coming up :)

Minal said...

hi mansi your receipe r too good to resit please give option for egg as v r pakka jains i cant use egg so some substitute for it so i can try that yummy muffins.

Anonymous said...

hi mansi your receipe r tooo good muffins looks so yummy i will try it out with butter thanks to
Richa for asking the substitute of egg. keep posting tasty tasty things

Mansi said...

Minal, eggs act as leavening agents and give fluff and texture to baked dishes, so if you use substitutes you might have to compromise on the softness a little.

You can use mashed bananas, mashed tofu instead of eggs. Some products like "Ener-G" is available in some markets which are egg replacements and can be used. If the recipe calls for only 1-2 eggs, you can just skip them and use warm whole milk instead.

Hope this helps you and other vegans to take advantage of these recipes!!

Anonymous said...

Gosh!! if I could eat this for diet I can do it for years and years!!! loved your nutrition take mansi! makes it more convincing to dig into these to-die-for muffins:)

-Helena

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I liked your recipe, but for people who want to go eggless can subsitute on low cholesterol they can use 1/4 cup of applesauce and no would ever realize that it is made eggless. you will not miss the softness or fluffy ness.

Alex Peter said...

It's yummy. These cookies are looking very delicious. I will try out your recipe. Thanks a lot for sharing your recipe.
Outsourcing Solution in Call Center

Turtle said...

I really enjoyed this recipe however I did notice that the nutritional information is misleading as this recipe is certainly not a no carb recipe. The flour, oats and sugar are all carbohydrates - still reasonably healthy though and tasted great!

Mansi said...

Oops, thanks for pointing that out Turtle! I meant to say Low Carbs, instead of No carbs...:)D

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for your feedback. I'll update the post with it.

Anonymous said...

hi, thanks for this recipe. i really appreciate that u have all substitutions and information in one place. this is great. now i tried the recipe this morning and though i am not a vegan i am trying to watch my health a bit. i substituted 2 eggs with one sm-medium banana. as i didn't have quick cook oats, i used large cut ones. this came out to not quite 11 muffins for me in doing this. my questions are these: the muffins weren't that high (they didn't rise so much)...is it because i used heavier large cut oats? also when i whisked the liquid mixture, it didn't get too frothy like eggs do ...i just wondered if i'm doing something wrong. the muffins were delicious with the large oats...it gave it a nuttier/chewier flavour..i'll also try the other ways..closer to your recipe. thanks for any tips.

Mansi said...

Hi there!

in answer to your questions, the Muffins didn't rise because there were no eggs in the recipe - even with baking soda and baking powder, its hard to attain the leavening effect similar to eggs...you can use self-raising flour instead; it helps achieve the rise in an eggless recipe...but as long as they tasted great, its good!:)

Also, to make them more moist, you can use 1/2 cup oil instead of 1/3, or even add 2 tbsp sour cream, and beat it a little more than usual. it won't ever be as frothy as eggs, but you'll still be able to bake moist muffins:)

Anonymous said...

thank you so much mansi for your reply. i really appreciate it! i love muffins and i like them higher so i'm certainly going to try your variations. i love that you give the tips of the various ways to keep them vegan, or lighter in calories, etc. Thanks again. Happy baking :-))

Anonymous said...

These are really yummy!
I used wholemeal flour because couldn't find oats or wholewheat in the UK.
I also couldn't beat the eggs oil and milk till it formed peaks. I only had a fork and was beating for about half an hour. Eventually I used it when it had some foam on top, but there was no way I could have got it into peaks. They turned out really tasty.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe

How many muffins should this recipe make?

Mansi said...

HI Anon - you can make 12 large muffins, or as I prefer, roughly about 24 mini muffins. they are ideal for snacking:)

Low Fat Diet said...

Wow! These muffins are looking fantastic, this is a great recipe for Healthy and low fat Blueberry muffins.

Best Diets said...

Thanks for Sharing this Great Recipe. This recipe is perfect for making delicious Blueberry Muffins.