Beetroot-Carrot-Peas Curry over Steamed Rice


With new gadgets and appliances filling our lives each day, we have almost forgotten the older methods of cooking that involved almost no appliances and very less energy! Sometimes, getting back to the "raw foods" concept can be inviting and nutritious! I bought a huge red beetroot last week, just to catch up on some most-needed antioxidants, and after making beetroot cutlets and beetroot juice, I still had some left to try this simple Beetroot, Carrot and Peas Curry served over plain Steamed Rice. It not only tasted great, it was actually very good-looking, extremely healthy, and made me feel good that I had saved some power that evening!!

Ingredients
1/2 beetroot - boiled and chopped into small pieces
2 carrots - boiled and chopped
1 cup peas - boiled
1/2 cup tomatoes - chopped
salt - to taste
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp garam masala powder
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup water
chopped coriander for garnish

Method
Boil all the vegetables first and keep aside.

Take a pan, add 1 tbsp oil to it, sprinkle some cumin seeds, and when they start spluttering, add the boiled vegetables. Add the water, salt, lemon juice and mix well.

Then add the chopped tomatoes and allow to cook, covered with a lid for 5-8 mins. When all the veggies look well-cooked, and the curry taken a deep pinkish-beet-red color, add the black pepper and garam masala powder to it. Garnish with chopped coriander.

Make some plain or Jeera Rice in a pressure cooker.

Take a serving dish, layer it with cooked rice, then top it with the sauteed beetroot-carrot stew. Serve hot and fresh!

This dish is full of tonnes of anti-oxidants, vitamins and fiber. Enjoy it for a healthy meal, with the satisfaction that you did something good for your body today! I'm sending this over to sweetnicks Antioxidant-rich-food event!


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





17 comments :

Anitha said...

Very colorful & unique combination curry. Thanks for the recipe.

Anitha

Shammi said...

Oh yum, I like this sort of recipe very much! A simple vegetable medley over rice - I do it quite often! :)

Linda said...

Oh Mansi, all I have been doing the whole weekend is indulge, indulge, indulge! This curry looks like just the ticket for me to start off a healthier week :) Beautiful!

KALVA said...

very pretty looking dish you have here!!!

Mansi said...

wow, this one is just the healthy colorful option to take a break from all the rich holiday cooking:) looks great, and I bet it's great for the body too!

Sharon

Mansi said...

yup guys! it's everything good and packaged in a pretty way:) i had so much satisfaction relishing this, and totally guilt-free, after all the baking I've been binging on:)

Lakshmi said...

I like the color of beet and its taste. Looks yum with all the veggies in the pic. :D

amna said...

thats a lovely looking curry. ur pics are so pretty that u shud show us bigger versions of them u know :)

AnuSriram said...

This makes a wonderful combination. Healthier tooooo... I tried your veggie lasagna mansi.. and it came out perfect and tasty!

Amrita said...

This is good I will try it. I made the Veg Hot and Sour soup and it was a hit.thanks Mansi, you 're great.

Mansi said...

nags - I'm already using a lot of my photo memory, but I'll try posting a little bigger pics:)

Anu, Amrita - personal thanks to you guys for trying out my recipes and coming back to leave your helpful comments! I'm so glad people actually benefit from using this site:)

zlamushka said...

Hi Mansi,

beetroot curry? Sounds perfect. This time of the year all we get around Sweden is tons of root veggies!
Oh, Guess what! Spoonful of Christmas round-up is up and running!

Cris said...

Wow! As you described this dish I could imagine the steaming rice with this tasty curry!

Cynthia said...

Truer words were never spoken.

Anonymous said...

this is so simple and yet so exquisite! it draws your attention to the fact that most of the times we neglect thinking about what doesn't affect us directly, like saving energy! I'm so hooked to this good-lloking plate, both for its cause and for the health factor!!

AJ

Nora B. said...

LOVE this type of dish, Mansi. Simple, yet so flavoursome and wholesome. And so pleasing to the eyes too.

I don't have many gadgets, so many times I have to do things the old fashion way and manual labour ;-)

Nora

remya said...

healthy n simple dish...gud entry