Announcing BBD#18- Quick Breads


quick-bread-recipes
After a long hiatus, its time to stir things up a bit on Fun and Food, so I'm proud to host this month's edition of Bread Baking Day! BBD#18 will be fun and challenging, as always, but just to cut you some slack, we choose to have a theme which can accommodate more participants, be they established bread-bakers, or novices trying out their baking skills! so this month, the theme is Quick Breads, which means plenty of sweet and savory options to choose for breakfast, appetizers or sides. But NO, quick breads does NOT MEAN cakes & brownies. So take a moment to check out the rules below:

BBD is a popular food-blog event that was started by Zorra of Kochtopf, and has traveled through many hosts and themes. The last edition hosted by Lien featured Breads with Potatoes. This time, we choose Quick Breads, something that is less fussy, and more fun!

"Quick Breads", as the name suggests, entails the use of chemical leavening agents like baking powder, baking soda or cream-of-tartar instead of Yeast, so that there is no time wasted on fermentation and kneading like traditional breads, and hence can be made "quickly". So keep in mind these rules before sending in your entries.

Rules for Participation:

1. You can make any sweet or savory bread, be it with fruits, grains, cheese, herbs, nuts or just plain, and you can use any kind of base flour that you like.

2. You can use pre-made bread flour, or other simple leavening agents like baking powder/soda/cream-of-tartar instead of yeast; you can even use ready-made bread/loaf mixes that can be used in bread machines, or bake it traditionally in your ovens.

3. Please DO NOT send in cakes or brownies as entries. These will not be accepted for this category. However, any of the recipes described below are allowed.

4. Quick Breads include Muffins, Fruit/Nut Breads, Biscuits, Scones, Popovers, Coffee-cakes, Crepes, Pancakes, Waffles and other similar breads and loaves.

5. As this is a vegetarian blog, please restrict to vegetarian recipes, which means NO MEAT or SEAFOOD; eggs and cheese are allowed.

6. Send your entries to funandfood@gmail.com with subject line BBD#18, and please include a link back to this announcement or homepage. Please send your entries in English only, or with a link to the page which has English translation on your blog. Re-size your pictures to 200x200px. The deadline for sending in your entries is April 1st 2009.

7. Archived posts are allowed, but only if they are republished during the event period. Also, maximum 2 entries are allowed per blog.

Many people think Quick Breads have to be sweet; that is not the case - cheese, herbs, vegetables, grains, nuts, beer bread are all examples of savory quick breads. Use your imagination and flavor to bake something unique, be it sweet, savory or spicy!

For more ideas and recipes, check out these cool links:
Savory Quick Breads
Quick Bread Recipes - Joy of Baking
Exotic Quick Bread Recipes

So what are you waiting for? This one should be simple, and outright fun, for home-cooks and chiseled cooks alike! Get your hands dirty with some flour and turn on your ovens, for its time to bake some delicious Quick Breads! I look forward to all your wonderful entries!


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





33 comments :

FH said...

YAY! Right now I am taking a break form Aroma blog. But I will try and get one for you if I can. Enjoy the weekend! :)

Pallavi said...

Nice event Mansi. I will surely have the roundup bookmarked on this one..
So, is it ok to send something from archives or does it have to be baked during the event period ? I guess multiple entries are ok ?

Dershana said...

Can one send in something published towards the end of last month?

Mansi said...

hey guys, I've added a 7th rule in response to your queries:)

Archived posts are allowed if they are republished during the event period. And maximum of 2 entries are allowed per blog.

pls let me know if I'm missing any more details:)

Manju said...

great!! sounds like fun, so count me in!

Pavani said...

Quick breads are so much more convenient than yeast breads. Will come up with something. Happy Hosting.

Lisa Turner said...

Great theme Mansi. Quick breads are a favorite in my household. I'll be sure to send something along.

amna said...

will my melting moments qualify? :)

A_and_N said...

Will surely send in something!

Poornima Nair said...

I participated for the first time last month and I'm hooked...count me in, this is a great theme.

Unknown said...

Nice choice for the event!

Anonymous said...

This will be my second BBD - the first was such fun! And how I love my quick breads! Count me in, too!

IDania said...

I guess I'm ready...
IDania

Mansi said...

thanks guys! can't wait to start getting all the delicious recipes!!!

pls take a moment to check on updated rules, so more ppl can participate..including you Nags!:)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Mansi, this is one vent I try to make it to every time and I'm happy to see it here.
Great theme.

Cindystar said...

Ok, Mansi, all clear.
Let's get " quickly floured" all! together!
Happy BBD!

Unknown said...

Hi,
Great blog here. Just wanted to drop in a line and let you know of the “Baking Event –Calling all Foodies” hosted at the foodie site www.ifood.tv. Looking to making this an event that gets bloggers to unite and enjoy together with some great baking this month. The details are all given here http://www.ifood.tv/blog/baking_event_calling_all_foodies

Nazarina A said...

Yes Mansi this event sounds a little less cumbersome than using yeast and waiting for the bread to proof! I am going to try my utmost to participate, sorry again for the earlier miscommunication!

Anonymous said...

Am a big fan of BB, and was planning to make orange poppy muffins this afternoon :-). Will post soon and link to your site.

Anonymous said...

Great theme and definitely stands out from the previous ones. Just submitted my entry :)

Rico said...

as soon as bread is mentioned I think of the smell of fresh baked bread nothing beats it...great post luv'd it :D

Audrey said...

My second one, too..and I love to make quick breads! I can't wait to send one in...and I am also looking for more recipes for them.

Unknown said...

I have posted a savoury cookie recipe today. Can I send that in?

Mansi said...

Yes Divya, you can surely send in your cookie recipe:) I love savory ones!

Anonymous said...

Mansi just mailed you my entry..
http://www.ecurry.com/blog/breads/vegan-banana-orange-nut-loaf/

Lisa Turner said...

Hi Mansi;

I just sent in my submission. Looking forward to the roundup!

Unknown said...

I'm missing this month baking. I'd love to participate but this months has been completely weird and haven't got enough time to cook and bake for posting... I'll bake anyway something and post about later but out of the round-up... :(

ostwestwind said...

Unfortunately you only accept vegetarian loafs, so no submission from me this month ....

IDania said...

My contribution is on the way...
IDania

KonkaniBlogger said...

Hey Mansi, just sent you my entry. Hope you got it.

TeaLady said...

Oh, I wish I had found this earlier. I love making quick breads, especially scones. Maybe I can 'join in' next time.

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Arundathi told me about this event, but I was too late in picking up the comment. Such a pity as I had a great no-knead quick bread recipe that was great. Hopefully I will be able to join in another month :)

James said...

I made a loaf of sourdough bread on Sunday, and simply toasted it for a bit in the oven, then layed slices of bread with bleu cheese and sauteed mushroom. Then, back in the oven for ten minutes, followed by a layer of avocado.