Homemade Garlic Bread - Caprese Style


homemade-garlic-bread-how-to-make
I love Garlic Bread, especially when its fresh homemade bread where I am free to indulge in the toppings that I please! A salad or a bowl of your favorite pasta is never complete unless accompanied by a few pieces of sizzling hot and cheesy Garlic bread. I try to be innovative with my toppings to bring out the variety and though Bruschetta toppings are my preferred option, this time we tried to make something similar to a Caprese salad. Inspired by the Italian traditional Caprese, I used thick tomatoes, Cheddar and Mozarella with a hint of basil as a delicate topping for our homemade Garlic Bread.

Ingredients
1 loaf of Italian bread or French bread
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 large cloves of garlic, smashed and minced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 heaping tablespoon of freshly chopped parsley
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

Caprese Toppings
7-8 thickly sliced tomatoes
cheddar and mozarella cheese - shredded
** or use fresh slices of thick white Mozarella cheese
dry basil flakes (optional)

Method

Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut the bread in half, horizontally, and keep aside.

Heat the olive oil in a pan, just enough to warm it. Now add the minced garlic to the oil. Let it roast for about 2 minutes on low flame. Remove from heat and let it cool a little.

Then mix the butter, roasted garlic, and parsley together in a small bowl. Spread butter mixture over the the two bread halves. Place on a sturdy baking pan and Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes.

Remove pan from oven. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over bread if you want. Top with the thick sliced tomatoes, sprinkle some more shredded Mozarella and Cheddar on the top, and finish with Basil flakes.

Return to oven on the highest rack. Broil on high heat for 2-3 minutes until the edges of the bread begin to toast and the cheese bubbles slightly. Do not go for more than 3 seconds as the bread can burn and brown very easily!

Remove from oven and let it cool for a minute. Now cut into 2-inch slices, or larger if you choose, and serve the piping hot Caprese-style Garlic bread with your favorite pasta or salad!

Note: You can even chop the tomatoes instead of slicing them if you want thinner pieces to serve.

Related Recipes

Indian Bruschetta (Chana Masala Bruschetta)
Cheesy Breakfast Muffins
Tomato Herb & Cheese Bread


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





30 comments :

Amy said...

Mmm this looks incredibly delicious!

Manggy said...

Ooh, that looks delicious Mansi! I love caprese in every way shape and form! :D

Meeta K. Wolff said...

great looking bread! hope you had a great start to your new year mansi!

Neha said...

I'm feeling hungry just by seeing it, nice click..
I too love to eat them, but avoid a bit due to lots of butter n cheese...

Sonia said...

wow...nice idea of making a Garlic Bread at home. Thanks for ur sharing Mansi.
Sonu:)

Anonymous said...

This is such a great recipe! I never think to put much on my garlic bread other than garlic. I'll have to try this soon! :)

Snooky doodle said...

this is my piece of bread! yummy it looks delicious i m drooling :)

Gopi Shah said...

Hey Mansi Happy New Year!Garlic bread is my favourite too and ur looks so yummy!!

Anonymous said...

This is a great idea - a little more creative than just the standard garlic bread offering.

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

looks very tempting mansi. it's a perfect appetizer for parties.

Mansi said...

Thanks guys, glad the garlic bread variation hit a chord with so many of you:) its def one step better than just regular GB, so should be impressive at parties, and easy too:)

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

You can't go wrong with garlic and butter.

The best thing is that the tomatoes can help ease the guilt of the bread and the butter, right? Vegetables always cancel out fat!

Ashwini said...

Thaks for the great starter for a party. It looks delicious Mansi..HAppy New Year..

Anonymous said...

Love garlic Bread & love the one you did. I need a hot garlic every now & then... (which happens pretty reequently:-) ).

Sunshinemom said...

Bread topped with garlic and bread, a sprinkling of herbs - heaven!!

Anonymous said...

Just few days back ,my son tasted his first ever garlic bread at Dominos and he liked it very very much...i guess this one is a nice way to recreate that yummy flavor of bread at home
And btw i tried the tomato soup your way(sauteing onions,previously i just used to pressure cook them with tomatoes)and it turned out yummyyyyyyy,i passed on recipe to my BIL and even he made it same way and obviously his friends ended up hogging the soup....will soon blog about it...
Happy cooking!

Priya Suresh said...

Wow wat a gorgeous Bread...am drooling over them...

Anonymous said...

You have such great ideas and the photographs are out of this world. My mouth starts watering every time I come here. Happy New Year to you!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

wow garlic bread looks awesome..my fav:)

Dragon said...

Oh yum! I wish I had some now.

Anonymous said...

This looks so fantastic!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

I love garlic bread and this looks wonderful. I used to make it weekly...not sure why I stopped, actually. Which reminds me, I need to make garlic bread!

Anonymous said...

It is one of my favourite. That is nice toppings. hmmm yummy. Happy New Year...

Anonymous said...

This looks great and I am sure it tastes even better. My only variation is using fresh basil instead of dry flakes since it's available all through the year in regular grocery stores.

Mrs.Kannan said...

i normally use the regular white bread...yours looks yummy,with the caprese style should try it

Rico said...

Now this is a classic...and is always a good bet....well done

Anonymous said...

Garlic Bread is one of those foods that you can make as simply or as hard as you like, this looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

That looks so delicious!!!! With tomatos and cheese! Mmm~~~~~ very out of this world! ^^
This dish will make everyone happy. :-)

Anonymous said...

Mmm cheddar and mozz on garlic bread... SOunds like a complete meal to me :)

Melissa said...

wow- that looks so yummy!!!