Vegetable Korma


vegetable-korma
Vegetable Korma is a favored curry recipe in Southern India, and as all kind of cuisine gets global, people all over the country have started enjoying the taste of this delicious and nutritive coconut-based curry. It is indeed a wonderful way to savor a generous serving of mixed vegetables - loaded with potatoes, peas, beans, cauliflower, carrots, and flavored with a thick paste made from coconut, poppy seeds, tomatoes, onions and Indian spices, the Mix Vegetable Korma is a filling meal when served with Parathas and/or Jeera Rice.

Ingredients
Makes about 4 servings
1 cup finely chopped green or string beans
1 cup finely chopped carrots
2 potatoes, finely chopped
1/2 cup shelled green peas
1 large tomato, chopped
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon ghee
A few bay leaves
1/2 bunch of coriander leaves (to garnish)

Wet Paste
1/2 cup coconut, grated
6-8 green chillies
1 small onion, chopped
A piece of fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 small bunch of coriander leaves
A little water

Dry Masala
1 tablespoon aniseed
A small piece of cinnamon bark
6 cloves
2 cardamom pods
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
** you can use regular Garam masala instead of freshly ground spices

Method

Paste: Place the grated coconut, green chillies, chopped onion, ginger, ground turmeric and coriander leaves in an electric blender or food processor, adding only a little water. Blend ingredients to a fine paste. Set aside.

Masala: Place the aniseed, cinnamon bark, cloves, cardamom pods, and poppy seeds in a heavy saucepan. Dry-roast spices until they give off a strong aroma. Grind to a fine powder in an electric blender or food processor. Set aside.

Place the finely chopped green beans, carrots, and potatoes in a heavy saucepan, add 1 tbsp ghee to it. Roast the veggies a little, then Add sufficient water to just cover the vegetables, and a pinch of salt. Cover pan with a lid, and cook until the vegetables are tender. Now add the green peas, chopped tomato and more salt to taste. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.

Take another small pan, add 2 tsp oil, and roast the onion paste for a couple mins, just so the raw-onion smell goes away. Now add this paste to the boiled vegetable mixture. Mix and add in the masala powder. Stir the korma thoroughly once more. Serve the hot Vegetable Korma with Naan or Parathas!

Related Recipes
Chana Masala Bruschetta
Bharoni Shimla Mirch (Stuffed Capsicums)
Malai Kofta Curry


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





31 comments :

Mahimaa's kitchen said...

looks lovely and rich mansi.

CurryLeaf said...

Fragrant with all the spices.Wish I could atleast inhale the hearty aroma

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

This looks great. I love new ideas for vegetables.

Uma said...

korma looks gorgeous Mansi! It must be so delicious too!

Unknown said...

that looks delicious..nice recipe..

Anonymous said...

Never made this myself. Looks really good.

amna said...

I always use shortcuts to make this dish, never follow the actual recipe :)

Manggy said...

I love the rich flavors of coconut milk and curry, Mansi-- makes me not miss the meat, heh heh :)

Prats said...

This looks lovely...will try it immediately

Vaidehi Bhave said...

Pic looks amazing..love the recipe !!

chakali

Finla said...

I love kurma and this looks realy yummy.

SMN said...

lovely and rich kurma..

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious. I'm always looking for new and exciting ways to add more vegetables to the table, and this definitely fits the bill.

Namratha said...

Korma is such a versatile dish, goes with just about anything! I like your version.

Mansi said...

great to see such enthusiastic responses to this dish folks! It is indeed a very versatile and healthy curry...can't wait to see the variations you people recreate!:)

thanks again, for all your kind words!

anudivya said...

Wow Mansi... looks so good. I love Kurma, and esp the ones with eggs, but this beats it all.

Mike of Mike's Table said...

Korma is one of those dishes that could get anyone to eat all their veggies--it looks spectacular and I love the color on it!

Bits said...

Hey! So yummy ... I must try it.

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Redolent with warmth and flavour of spices and the creaminess of coconut, this dish is always a winner.

Priya Suresh said...

Wow mansi, looks yummy n gorgeous, creamy korma makes me hunger..

Malar Gandhi said...

Dear Mansi, I have an Award waiting for you in my blog....plz trail back to me.

Mansi said...

Malar - thanks so much for passing me the award! I'm truly gratuitous:)

Aparna - let me go check on "redolent" in the thesaurus first:) it does sound appreciative though...hehehe;)

Anu - I love the egg curry too, but this Korma is definitely preferred:)

Priya, Mike - thanks for the kind words!:) glad you approve of the dish! It does look colorful indeed:)

Vanamala Hebbar said...

lovely korma ....

Uj said...

Korma looks delicious :) My all tim fav

Deepthi Shankar said...

I love korma too ... looks lovely mansi

Anonymous said...

I love mixed veggie curries and kurmas coz they give me manyfold benefits,one i end up utilizing all the teeny weeny bits of veggies remaining in my refrigerator,secondly it taste so good ,and thirdly i get a feeling of cooking and eating something healthy....Loved ur version and will love to give it a shot !

gaga said...

This is my husbands absolute favorite curry, except he likes it with chicken. Thanks for sharing it, it'll make him very happy!

Anonymous said...

This Vegetable Korma will just the best Korma,its color fabulous, my children loved it, i will cook this vegetable Korma again and try the variations...how easy and quick it will to make? my veggie husband will love it and I'm sure it'll be a big hit with the foodies!!

Unknown said...

hi mansi,

wont we saute d veggies or d gravy??
jst boil the veggies without addin ghee n put the paste??

plz explain..
wld love to try this dish..
thnks..

Mansi said...

hi deepal! thanks for pointing out the error! Yes, you do need to add ghee to the saucepan before boiling/cooking the vegetables. I generally boil the veggies separate, then add ghee to a pan, roast the onion paste for a few mins so the raw onion smell goes off, then add the masala powder to it, and finally add the cooked veggies and enough water to make a gravy.

I've edited the method accordingly in the post. Hope this helps! let me know how it turns out:)

uno said...

hmmm yummy .. I really like this food looks so delicious .. .. I want to try it