Cheese Ravioli with Tomato Basil & Cream Sauce


cheese ravioli-tomato-cream sauce
Ravioli, by far, is my preferred pasta choice over any others, and I tend to be partial towards places which serve a good plate of Cheese Ravioli cooked in Creamy Tomato sauce. I don't like the plain marinara sauce with my Ravioli, and white sauce gets too heavy, so whenever we make Stuffed Ravioli at home, I go for a Tomato Basil and Cream sauce, which is a best of both the worlds! Filled with the goodness of tomatoes, spiced with basil and herbs, and with just a hint of cream to give it the smooth texture, this sauce is a perfect accompaniment to any stuffed ravioli, be it mushroom, spinach or cheese! Just sprinkle some Parmesan on the top and you are good to go. Try this Cheese Ravioli with homemade Tomato Basil Cream sauce and you'll never miss the restaurant recipe again!

Ingredients
1 packet of spinach raviolis
Parmesan cheese - for garnish
slivered almonds - for garnish

Ravioli Sauce
3 large fresh tomatoes
1/2 small onion - chopped
3 garlic cloves - minced
2 tbsp butter
4 tbsp parmesan cheese
2 tsp basil flakes
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 cup whipping cream
salt & pepper - to taste

Method
Boil the tomatoes for 4-5 mins or until tender; Chop the onions and saute them in some oil till they look pinkish and glazed. Add the minced garlic and saute for another 1 minute.

Now blend the tomatoes, onions and garlic mixture to form a smooth paste.

Add some butter to a non-stick pan, then add the tomato-onion-garlic sauce and let it boil on medium-flame. Add the basil and oregano, salt and pepper, and let it simmer.

Whisk the whipping cream and the Parmesan cheese in a separate bowl to form a thick mixture. Reduce the flame to low, and add this mixture to the tomato sauce.

Meanwhile, cook the cheese ravioli in boiling water as instructed on the packet.

To Serve
Layer the cooked ravioli in a dish, then top it with a generous coating of the sauce. Garnish with some more Parmesan cheese, slivered almonds and basil flakes. Serve your delicious restaurant-style Cheese Ravioli with Tomato Basil & Cream Sauce and flatter your friends and family! Off this goes to DK's AWED-Italian Food event, and also to Harini's Food in Color featuring Red this month!

Related Recipes:
Ravioli in Saffron Cream Sauce
Fettucini in Almond & Pesto Sauce
Baked Rigatoni in Garlic Marinara Sauce


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





35 comments :

Anonymous said...

Tomato Sauce.............Ummmmmmmmmmmm
I love tomato sauce very much.
You are doing great job,Your blog is also good.

Manggy said...

That creamy tomato sauce looks divine! I agree, I can't resist ravioli if it's offered. It has the extra treat of filling, heh :)

Anonymous said...

lovely recipe for the sauce Mansi! thanks for sharing!

-anjali

amna said...

I lurrve ravioli too :D btw, a my friend maya and i are lookin at your site together and she thot ur pics are yummy!

Mansi said...

thanks Maya! I have to extend a special thanks to my new readers, but Nags, more than that I need to thank you for sharing my blog with your friends:)D

Johanna GGG said...

I love ravioli too - now that is exactly what I want to eat for dinner - but I quite like a plain tomato sauce with it which is just as well because we don't often have cream in the house - but if I have some cream to use up might just try your creamy sauce

ST said...

The creamy tomato sauce looks awesome and yumm yumm.I love tomato sauce very much..Thanks for sharing.

Shilpa said...

I am drooling looking at the pics. I love this combo. I have to buy some ravioli now(or else i wont get sleep).

Medhaa said...

Hi Mansi, I too love ravioli, yours looks delicious. Love the addition of cream.

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds delicious Mansi. Will try Ravioli your style this time, Thnx for sharing!

www.zaiqa.net

mitr_bayarea said...

Mansi,

love the tomato basil ravioli, I love both the spinach and butternut squash type that we get in Italian restaurants, am going to try your recipe verbatim, hope it comes some what okay. Thanks for sharing.

Uma said...

oh oh oh I want that ravioli now! Looks so delicious with that colorful sauce.

Mansi said...

good to see that quite a few of you prefer the tomato sauce over the bechemel one:) the cream in the recipe provides just the right balance, so pls do try it out and let me know how it works for your tastebuds!:)

thanks for the encouraging words, always!

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Wow tempting recipe .... iam sure will try this. My fav dish

karuna said...

love the ravioli. the sauce looks nice and creamy

Manasi said...

Oh heavenly! U made me crave for some now! mus try t get some ravioli over the weekend!

Anonymous said...

i like the addition of cheese and cream to the sauce....this is right up my alley!! havent had ravioli...but am sure this will be great with any kind of pasta.....

Anonymous said...

We love ravioli so much. Our favorite gourmet restaurant makes this sauce and names it "Pink sauce".Your ravioli in sauce looks yummy.

Sophie said...

This looks so warm and delicious! I would love to learn how to make my own ravioli :). I just ate dinner, but my mouth is watering at the thought of getting a taste of this; it's comfort food at its best!

Mansi said...

sophie - I'm going to post how to make raviolis at home...check back to see it up on the blog, probably next week, as a lot of people have requested me to post about it:)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Love any Italian food. Prefer the tomato sauce, too.
I like the new look to your blog, Mansi.

Kajal@aapplemint said...

Mansi, this sauce is a classic, very simple yet so tasty. Yum ... cheese n spinach ravioli ... i'm getting hungry.

PG CakeCraft said...

Simply delish!I love pasta in any form but its the tomato sauce thats the star attraction. Can't wait to try it.

Sunshinemom said...

Mansi, this is just perfect! So yummy! The new look is great too, very different from the earlier one!
Thanks for entering:)

Katie Zeller said...

That looks gorgeous!!! I love tomato cream sauces but mine tend to curdle... could be because I end up using 2% milk instead of cream....

Unknown said...

The sauce looks creamy n rich..Lovely recipe..

Ruth Daniels said...

I love the ravioli. I do hope you share one of your excellent pasta dishes with Presto Pasta Nights. www.prestopastanights.com

Anonymous said...

This sauce looks absolutely dreamy. I've never made my own tomato sauce before, always use jarred. This sounds so easy to do, I'll have to make my own now and serve with stuffed ravioli. Yummy!!!

Anonymous said...

Just a few questions regarding the sauce. It says a cup of fresh tomatoes..do you boil them whole and then cut them up? Also, it says to blend the tomatoes with the garlic and onion until it's a paste. Then it says to add the "tomato sauce" to the butter. Is the "tomato sauce" the garlic, onion, and tomato that was previously blended together? It sounds delicious and I just want to make sure I get it right. Thanks!!!!

Mansi said...

Hi paula,

sorry for the confusion! it should be 3 large tomatoes - start with these, cut them up and boil them just to make them tender. Then blend them with sauteed onion & garlic.

and yes, the "tomato sauce" is the blended onion-garlic-tomato paste.

I'll edit the recipe to reflect these changes too..thanks for pointing it out:)

Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I am planning to try and make this for my daughter's birthday party, as one of the dishes [the main course is punjabi]. how many kids will this 1 recipe be enough for? They are aged between 5-8 years. Pls let me know.

Which size pack of ravioli should I use? [ie how many raviolis in one pack}

Mansi said...

this should serve about 5-6 kids, considering its a side dish and not the main course. I think the Ravioli pack I used had 20 pieces, and was enough for 4 adults.

Hope this helps! again, this recipe is just an estimate, so you might have to adjust quantities a bit here an there, but it should serve to be a good estimate!

Anonymous said...

A good story

GK Chesterton: “The poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.”

Voila: www.tastingtoeternity.com. This book is a poetic view of 30 of the best loved French cheeses with an additional two odes to cheese. Recipes, wine pairing, three short stories and an educational section complete the book.

From a hectic life in New York City to the peace and glories of the French countryside lead me to be the co-founder of www.fromages.com. Ten years later with the words of Pierre Androuet hammering on my brain:

“Cheese is the soul of the soil. It is the purest and most romantic link between humans and the earth.”

I took pen and paper; many reams later with the midnight oil burning Tasting to Eternity was born and self published.

I believe cheese and wine lovers should be told about this publication.

Enjoy

Mike said...

I had some spinach and three cheese ravioli and have been searching for a creamy sauce. This was the PERFECT sauce for my ravioli. It was melt in my mouth goodness! I didn't have enough fresh tomatoes so I used a can of crushed tomatoes. I am looking forward to using fresh tomatoes from our garden to make this sauce this summer.

Sumee said...

I tried this with few changes, it was a instant hit with everyone. :o)