Mango Cake with Streusel Topping


mango cake with streusel toppingOne of the best ways to flavor cakes is by using seasonal fruits, and when you are thinking about fruits and cakes in this warm summer, you cannot dare to ignore a delicious Mango Cake! They are not called the king of fruits for no reason; with a lovely shape and smell, a juicy and fibrous interior, mangoes lend a wonderful texture, sweetness and softness to cakes. So intending to use my indian mangoes, I had been planning to bake a Mango Streusel Cake for quite some time now. Trying to choose healthier options, I opted for a crumb streusel topping for my cake rather than the regular frosting. Plus, a streusel cake can be really versatile; serve it with coffee for a filling breakfast, or top it with whipped cream or ice cream for a luscious dessert. The nuts in the streusel topping give it a nice crunchy layer, making it a great recipe for Mango coffee cake; but you can opt to replace it with any other icing or frosting of your choice to suit your taste and occasion. But no matter how you choose to relish it, this Mango Cake is sure to leave an impression!

The term "Streusel" is a German word meaning "something scattered or sprinkled"; in terms of cooking and baking, it refers to a crumb topping of butter, flour, and sugar (traditionally German) that is baked on top of muffins, breads, and cakes. Slowly over time, this German recipe evolved with addition of spices like cinnamon, nutmeg or cardamom and finely-ground nuts. I've always enjoyed coffee cakes with streusel topping, and have been wanting to bake one at home. Finally I got to bake this Mango Cake with Streusel Topping and it was wonderful.

Ingredients

Mango Cake

2 cups all-purpose flour
** I used 1 cup wheat and 1 cup AP flour for a healthier option
3/4 cup unsalted butter
1-1/2 cup sugar
1 cup fresh mango puree (thick puree, no water added)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup chopped mango or 8-10 slices
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs

Streusel Topping
1/2 cup walnuts- finely ground
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg or cardamom (optional)
3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup butter

Method

To make the Streusel Topping, combine all the ingredients listed above with hand until it forms a crumbly mixture. Make sure you rub the butter evenly into the mixture for even texture.

Heat the oven to 350° F. Lightly coat a 9" x 9" cake pan with butter and dust with all-purpose flour, or use non-stick cooking spray.

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.

Beat the butter and sugar in a separate bowl until light and fluffy. Now beat in the eggs, one at a time, whipping a lot after each addition. Mix till soft peaks form.

Now slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, beating continuously as you combine the two. If you are using a large spoon or hand beater, make sure you are always stirring in the SAME direction (clockwise or anticlockwise).

Finally add in the vanilla essence and mango puree and blend everything together.

You can choose to add the chopped mangoes in the batter or use them as a top layer, as I did. Pour the batter into the prepared pan; top with the mango slices and then cover completely with the streusel mixture.

Now bake for 35-40 mins at 350 degrees, or until the edges have separated from the sides of the mould and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let the cake cool on the wire rack fr at least 15-20 mins.

For a breakfast option, slice your Mango Cake and serve with tea or coffee. To enjoy as a dessert, cut into wedges, top with vanilla ice cream, and garnish with more mango slices!

I served this Mango Streusel Cake to friends last weekend and it was a great treat indeed! Find more German recipes.

Tip: Just like any other fruit-based cakes, this Mango Cake tastes better after 12-24 hours as the flavor of mango seeps in. So try baking it ahead to save time and get more flavor!


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





36 comments :

Anonymous said...

That looks great Mansi! I love streusel topping, and I am sure combined wiht mango, it must've tasted amazing!:)

~sheila

FH said...

Fab cake! Mango is so divine and it smells so good in anything and always reminds me of my tree climbing, tom boy childhood!:D
Have a great weekend, see you next week, got to go to High school today, something very special is waiting for Trisha!:))

Siri said...

Love the cake and the streusel topping too!!

Siri

Shri said...

Great Cake!looks so yummy.Thanks for sharing

@the_whisk_affair said...

sounds fantastic...now to get my hands on some mangoes! :-)

Rachel said...

Mango and streusel..heavenly

Uma said...

that's one wonderful mango cake, mansi! Yummy!

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Lovely. Mango cake and streusel with cardamom. Truly delicious.
I'm going to puree and freeze a lot of mango and then extend my mango season into the monsoons.

Finla said...

Delicious cake, i can taste it by just reading the post and the ingridients.
Yummm

Mansi said...

I personally loved the flavors in here, and yes, the cardamom does add a nice touch to it! you can choose to add it to the cake itself rather than the topping:)

glad to know you all liked it!:)

Arundathi said...

lovely - i love streusel topping!

Bharti said...

ooh...that looks yumm!!

Trupti said...

mango cake......wow ..mind blowing..wonderful manasi..yuummmyyy..send me some pieces here..i am drooling for this cake

Chef Jeena said...

Mansi I love mango cake this looks great. :-)

Cynthia said...

I know that you would say that you can ask me the same thing but what the heck... where do you find the time to make such fantastic treats? :)

Swati Raman Garg said...

what a wonderful looking cake mansi... pata hai u r one person i wish u stayed next door to me... life wud have been so yummy ... d day i have a oven , i will try each of ur recipes...iam sure with mango this one wud have been divine...

notyet100 said...

looksyum,..

Purnima said...

Hey Mansi, thats a lovely cake, wt die hard fans of mango like me, it surely wd b a big hit!! Thks for sharing (I prepared the bread slice basket ur way yest, the filling was fruit salad! tks for sharing..shall post it..dont know when..but surely will!)

Nina Timm said...

I have never thought of using mango in a cooked recipe, but this looks like a MUST TRY to me.

Manggy said...

Yummy! As my name suggests, I love mangoes!! (Haha, I'm joking-- the name has nothing to do with the fruit.) But I am still a big fan! For some reason, mango puree doesn't get worked into cakes a lot, which is a shame!

Dee said...

love mango cake Mansi, I dont know when your birthday is But Many Many happy returns and God bless and looking forward to see more and more recipes here

Anonymous said...

I think that its smells and so good tree climbing. I wish u stayed next door to me... life wud have been so yummy.

Anonymous said...

I can image how delicious this cake is. I have never tried a mango cake, and this sounds very appealing to me:) I want to have some:)

test it comm said...

This mango cake sounds so good!

giz said...

Do you get a good taste of mango with the puree? I sometimes find that the taste gets a little lost. I love the idea of the streusel on the top.

Mansi said...

glad to know so many ppl loved this! but actually, I'm not quite surprised:)

giz - I used fresh puree as well as mango pieces; but you are right, the taste is subtle..hence I suggested in the tip that this cake tastes better after 10-12 hours, because as the flavor seeps in, the mango taste gets more pronounced:)

Kalai said...

Mansi, somehow I missed seeing this post before. What a gorgeous cake!! I love streusel topping, too! :)

Anitha said...

Hmm...Mango cake...Sounds yummy.

I can simply imagine the sweet mango smell with the nice combination of flvaors, when taken right out of the oven :-)

Anitha

Sunshinemom said...

It sounds delicious...I am afraid I like coffee flavour in this cake, so I am a little partial:) I must try this:)

Deeba PAB said...

I love anything fruit too Mansi...this does sound great! YUM!!

ushaprashanth said...

Hi!
This the perfect recipe for this summer season where we get plenty of mangoes and do not know what to do with all that! lovely recipe!!

Anonymous said...

Oh this looks so good -thanks !

Pallavi said...

This looks cool Mansi. I love anything with Mango in it. This will definitely go on my a must-try list.

BTW, I have tagged you on a Meme. Check out my blog for more info :)

Pallavi

Beyond Curries said...

Lovely cake Mansi. I have not tasted a mango cake so far.

I recently updated the eggless recipes list and have included your wheat flour cake also.

And I have also created a page for submitting eggless baking recipes.
http://www.egglesscooking.com/eggless-baking-recipes/eggless-recipe-submit-form/

Kindly use this form to submit your eggless creations in the future and I'll update the list.

Thank You.

amna said...

of all the recipes i missed out on, this is my fave... gonna try it as soon as i get an oven :)

Pakistani Mangoes said...

Hi

Great blog and recipes i like mangoes very much i think every people likes this fruit, this is the fruit of heaven, i will try this recipe mango cake with streusel tropping its looking delicious, Thanks again for this great recipe.