Stir-Fried Okra (Bhindi Masala) with Peanuts and Coconut


There's a little interesting story behind this Bhindi Masala (Stir-fried Okra). One of the most challenging yet interesting part of being a chef is that you often get an opportunity to turn something ordinary into extraordinary, and that's the part I really like! Experimenting with flavors and spices is what makes a cook's life exciting, not always succesful, but definitely exciting. Luckily for all of you, I only share my successful endeavors with you:) And the vegetable that steals the show today is nothing but the simple Okra(Ladyfinger), or "Bhindi", as it's known in India. The trouble we all face while cookng okra is that it can get to be a really "sticky affair", literally. So it helps to fry, or in this case, stir-fry it a little to get rid of that stickiness. But the twist that transforms this simple Bhindi Masala into a delicious and unique okra curry is the addition of peanuts, onions, bread crumbs and some coconut!

The key to making tasty okra is to choose the tender variety, with a thinner skin and as less seeds as possible. This will give them a better texture and taste, so take your time in picking and choosing your okra(bhindi). Also, never wash the okra, rather, wipe them clean with a wet towel. This will help avoid the stickiness a lot!

Ingredients
1 packet of freshly-cut okra
1/4th cup peanut powder
1/2 cup onions - finely chopped
1/2 cup grounded bread crumbs
1/4th cup shredded coconut
2 tsp fenugreek seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
5-6 cloves of garlic - minced
8-10 tbsp olive oil (or low-fat cooking oil)
1 tbsp turmeric powder
2 tsp sugar
salt and lemon juice - according to taste
2 tbsp red chilli powder
2 tbsp cumin-coriander powder(dhana-jeera)
freshly chopped cilantro - for garnish

Method
Heat the oil in a wok and add the fresh okra to it. Stir fry the bhindi on medium flame, stirring often to make sure it does not get burnt. Add the ground bread crumbs to coat the okra. Do this till the okra becomes cripy and the stickiness starts disappearing. Now remove the okra and keep aside.

In the same wok, add 1 tbsp oil, the cumin and fenugreek seeds, minced garlic and the onions. Saute them till the onions look glazed. Now add the peanut powder and roast for a couple of minutes, Then add the okra to this, add salt and sugar, and cook partially covered on medium flame, stirring occasionally. After it has cooked, add the remaining spices and the lemon juice. Mix well, then add half of the shredded coconut. Cook for some more time and transfer to a serving bowl.

Garnish with the chopped cilantro and the remaining shredded coconut and serve the hot Bhindi Masala with hot chapatis or parathas!

Related Recipes:
Malai Kofta Curry
Spicy Dum Aloo/Potato Curry
Paneer Butter Masala


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





45 comments :

FH said...

Lot of people do not know how to cook with Okra, that's why they whine about stringy and all. I always dry fry in non-stick pan, never had a problem, love Bhindi!:)
Looks great, love the addition of Peanuts in there. Good job.I got the whole Gujarati thali at FH this week, YAY!:D

Miri said...

Very interesting recipe and a must try. The peanut and coconut must make it taste delicious...

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

Hi Mansi
At last managed to track your blog site. Nice green preparation with cocunut. Healthy food. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Padmaja said...

Mansi!! I remember having stuffed bhindi but never ever tried, Yours look so delicious that i gotta try!!
so yum!!

Richa said...

yum-o :)

Sia said...

peanut and coconut with bhindi... there is nothing in the recipe i dont like:)

Sagari said...

adding breadcrums to okra wowww I can imagine the taste Mansi

Mansi said...

Thanks folks! I have bookmarked this recipe too:) it really turned out great!

Ben - the honor factor is mutual:) I'll add you too, unless haven't already:)

Mandira said...

okra masala with peanuts, that sounds delicious. Will have to try it soon :)

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Hi Mansi

adding peanut pd gives more taste.

Suganya said...

Peanut powder sounds better than besan. Thanks for the recipe, Mansi. I have fresh okra on hand :)

Kalai said...

Wow! Nice combo of flavors, Mansi! Will try sometime. :)

Anonymous said...

you really turnd a simple okra masala into a new dish mansi! those flavors sound really nice! and coconut?? now that's inventive:)

-Kathy

bee said...

i love okra, so i'm gonna bookmark this.

Rosie said...

Great combo of flavours and sounds delicious :)

Rosie x

Mansi said...

I'm really happy everyone liked this dish..I was so sketical adding ingredients to my fancy, but the end result was good:) thanks god! hehehe:D

Anonymous said...

boy! you are creative! from where do u get these creative combos??:)

definitely gonna try this one out...and loved the tip about how to pick okra..I never knew that!!

-Angela

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious Mansi, I love anydish made with okra. Have to try it using peanut and bread crumbs..no doubt it will be yum.

Manju said...

love bhindi...looks like its a bhindi day!!! just saw another Bhindi dish in "Simply spicy"

Seema said...

Nice one Mansi! Pravs just cooked up Bhendi too... Learnt 2 new ways.. Liked idea of adding peanuts! A crunch inbetween.. yum yum!

Shandy said...

Mansi, you know I have never created anything with okra. My grandma scared the bajeebees out of me because she said that it is hard to cook with a when you do, the okra gets a slippery consistency. This recipe looks absolutely beautiful and I think Grandma needed someone like you to show her just how it is suppose to be done! Thank you so much for sharing and now I can't wait to try this recipe. . .YaY! =D
Shandy@Pastry Heaven

Mansi said...

yeah, looks like okra is in season!

Shandy - that's a huuuuuge compliment, but seriously, I think your grandma just didn't want you to get your hands dirty:)

Unknown said...

not many people try to mix coconut with onions, bt actually when you do they taste fantastic...

Nice one.. hope to see more of these.. By the way, bindi is my fav!!

EC said...

Loved the idea of adding peanuts to okra...only last week i tried puneri aloo for the first time that has potatoes with crushed groundnuts...will try this for sure sometime

Roopa said...

wow mansi thats a great blend with peanut :)

Anonymous said...

Nice recipe mansi. Love the presentation. And especially okra is one of my fav vegetable. Addition of peanut is different. Must have tasted really good.

Kajal@aapplemint said...

Hey Mansi , please some of that lovly bhindi over yaar ... its been a while since i had some. My hubby doesn't eat veggies so don't end up buying them only !!!

Namratha said...

The best tip to avoid the stickiness is to never WASH the okra but rather wipe it with a damp towel. I liked this new way of making okra Mansi, my recipes for okra have always been limited.

Mansi said...

Anu, easy, Roopa - glad you liked the twist:)

Shriya - I'm trying to improve my presentation skills, so thanks for the compliment!

Kate - come along this weekend! I'll show you SFO and lots of bhindi:)

Nams - thnks for reminding me about that...I folow the same practise, but maybe I should add it to this recipe notes too:)

Rasa Malaysia said...

I love okra but never tried making them with peanuts and coconut...I always stir-fry them with sambal or put them in my curries. Yummy.

:)

Cynthia said...

I know what I'm going to be cooking tomorrow :)

AnuZi said...

Okra isnt really one of my fav veggies but its sooo good for you that now I have started adding more recipes to my bank. Will be adding this one as well. It looks enticing :o)

Susan Voisin said...

I love okra, and I'm sure this tastes wonderful. Thanks for the recipe and for entering it for Vegetable Love!

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I usually make okra with Mexican seasonings, but coconut? I'm in love Mansi. I can't wait to try it.

DEEPA said...

wow!!!okra and peanut ...never tried it out !!!...excellent one

S said...

nice recipe and platter

Swati said...

Wow!! love the combination...am sure peanuts would add a distinctive flavour to the okra...they always do, isnt it!!

Anonymous said...

Nice and delicious blog!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

This sounds delicious!

Unknown said...

sounds delicious...but could you quantify 'one packet'?? this is too vague.

thanks

Unknown said...

sounds delicious...but could you quantify 'one packet'?? this is too vague.

thanks

Mansi said...

chakmool - sorry for confusing you, actually I bought like 1/2 pound of fresh okra from indian vegetable market...so you could probably use the same:) hope this helps!

Deborah said...

We used to eat okra all of the time growing up, but it was never like this! This sounds wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Oh, this sounds wonderful, I might have to give it a try. I've alway been one of those people afraid to cook with okra.

And thanks for visiting my blog, you're is lovely as well. Happy eating!

Anonymous said...

The recipe turned out really good! I just stumbled across your blog when searching for recipes. I will certainly try out more recipes in the days to come. Thank you!