Mix-Vegetable and Coconut Milk Soup (Healthy and Wholesome)


When it comes to soup recipes, we tend to go after the tried and tested combinations more often than not. Even I used to do the same, because some recipes and flavors just stick with us and we don't feel the urge to try something new. But this time around, as I mulled over the idea of a wholesome vegetarian soup, there were quite a few ideas that played in my head. I wanted it to be thick and creamy, yet without all the fat that heavy cream brings with it, and I wanted it to be flavorful as well as healthy. So guess what! I decided to try a mix-vegetable soup (a nice way to throw in all the veggies that you love!:)) combined with coconut milk. To give it that distinct flavor, I decided to roast/saute the ingredients and flavor them with spices which infused a higher taste and aroma. The boiled and cooked veggies also leave water which eliminates the need to add artificial broth, and the addition of coconut milk gave it the thick texture and consistency that I was looking for!

I have used quite a few vegetables in this recipe; but you are free to omit or change these to suit your taste. Though I would recommend using cauliflower, carrots and beetroot as they impart a nice flavor and color, as well as provide healthy antioxidants and fiber.

Ingredients
1/2 small cauliflower - florets separated
1/2 cup shredded cabbage
1 large tomato
1/2 cup carrots - chopped
1/2 cup beetroot - chopped
3/4 cup green peas
1/2 cup onions - chopped
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup water (as needed)
2 tbsp olive oil or margarine
1 tsp garlic paste
salt and black pepper - to taste
lemon juice - if needed
2 tsp red chilli powder or paprika
1-2 bay leaves
2 tsp coriander powder
3-4 cloves

Method
Take all the vegetables except tomato and onions and pressure cook them.

now take a frying pan, heat the olive oil, then add the garlic paste, cloves, bay leaves and saute the chopped onions until light golden. Add the boiled vegetables, along with the water, to the pan and season with all the spices. Chop the tomato and add it to this mixture. Cover and let them simmer for 8-10 minutes. Finally add half of the coconut milk and cook for another 5 mins.

Once done, remove from flame and let it cool a little. Remove the bay leaves and the cloves with your hand (do not grind these). Then take all the mixture and blend it in a grinder to form a smooth paste. Add the remaining coconut milk and check for taste. Add salt, pepper or lemon juice if needed. Puree everything again adding water as needed till you achieve the desired consistency.

Your healthy soup is ready to be relished! You can allow it to cool and store in a dry air-tight container and it'll stay fresh for a few days in the fridge. But it is best served hot and fresh, so boil it a little again before serving. Garnish with croutons if desired and enjoy! This goes to Lisa's Monthly event which celebrates Veg Soups this month, and also to Margot's Wholesome Lunchbox Series!


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





35 comments :

Anonymous said...

Simply spectacular! truly wholesome mansi! and looks delicious too!:)

-Neha

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I simply adore creamy coconut milk soup. In fact, last night's dinner was a sweet potato coconut curry soup with tofu. I'll have to try your delicious recipe now too, I still have 3 more cans of coconut milk in the cupboard!

Lisa Turner said...

Mansi, is this delicious creation your contribution to "No Croutons Required"? You don't mention the event in your post, so I'm unsure. It's not too late. I'm excepting entries until Thursday morning.

Lisa Turner said...

Wonderful! I see that it is! Thanks for participating in our event Mansi!

FH said...

Croutons on soup for "no croutons required"? :))
Love the pink color Mansi, healthy soup indeed!

Mansi said...

Ben - thanks for your 5 stars!:)

Neha - thanks for your comment!

Susan - its time to put those cans to good use now:)

Lisa - you are welcome! it was fun to participate!

Asha - I had to dress it up a little for the picture:) hehehe:D

Rosie said...

What a beautful colour and gosh this soup sounds so delish Mansi. :D

Rosie x

Kalai said...

Mansi, the color of this soup is awesome!! Soup with veggies and coconut milk. What more could a girl want?? Looks delicious! :)

glamah16 said...

its nice to see you mix the coconut milk with vegetables like tomatoe.Helthy and delicious is right!

Rachel said...

Coconut milk in a soup...that is something new to me :)

musical said...

God! This is great! One more favorite coconut soup! I posted one too y'day! Totally love the color and texture of your soup. I will have to try this one soon :).

amna said...

i am currently collecting soup recipes. good addition to my collection. love the mix of veggies and coconut milk :)

Mansi said...

Rosie, Kalai, Glamah - thanks!

Rachel - you should try it!

Musi- saw your soup...I'm so hapy just to see you post something!:)

Nags - hope this is a good addition to your collection:)

Uma said...

wow, the soup looks lovely! Yummy and healthy too! got to try this. Thanks.

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

Mansi
A very good idea to add coconut milk. An it will also have the rich flavour ..good innovative thought.

NĂºria said...

Hola Mansi! What an owesome soup!!! It looks delicious, could I have a little bowl?

sunita said...

Mansi, I simply love the colour of your soup...slluuurrp :-)

Siri said...

This is one indeed a wholesome soup Mansi. Nice n yummy experiment and Thanks a ton for sharing with all of us.

Siri

The Short (dis)Order Cook said...

Brilliant! I love soup with coconut milk. I'm addicted to Tom Ka Gai and I make a sweet potato soup with coconut milk that's also to die for. I have a new idea for next week's lunch now. Thanks!

I'll have to leave the peas out though. ;-)

Alpa said...

the color is stunning, as i'm sure the taste is. so creative to use coconut milk!

Finla said...

Wow with coconut milk.
Just delicious soup.

Mike of Mike's Table said...

I'd never thought of using coconut as a base to a soup, but that sounds like a great idea. Looks like a delicious soup!

Kajal@aapplemint said...

This soup really is a meal in itself. Truly wholesome and packed with wonderful flavours.

Suganya said...

These vegetables are mostly chunky. Pureeing it is a great idea. Sometimes I puree one half and leave the rest chunky.

Mansi said...

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Kate - yeah, its a great additon to the diet plan that I keep getting on and off:)

Suganya - I thought of keeping the peas unpureed, but then changed my mind at the last minute:)

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Mansi, I love this soup, especially that it has coconut milk in it! Must be delicious... Margot

Sagari said...

ingredients in the soup sounds so yummyyyyyy mansi

Anonymous said...

looks great, love coconut in soup!

Archana Doshi said...

Cocnut milk in soup. I am still trying to digest it:) Very innovative though! I feel like adding some thai curry sauce to it and serve it on top of rice. BTW, i have asurprise waiting for you in my blog :)

Aparna Balasubramanian said...

Lovely recipe but I would personally leave out the beetroot. I guess, I wouldn't get that nice pink colour then.

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Thank you for your entry.
This soup makes perfect lunch! Thank you for sharing the recipe.
Margot

Terri said...

This recipe is making my mouth water and I've only just had breakfast!

If you can get a real coconut I would recommend making your own milk instead of that from a can - extra nutritious and delicious. I have instructions for making it on my blog http://www.caribbeanlandandproperty.com/blog/index.php?/archives/66-Coco-loco!.html


Can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks

Terri

Anita said...

Would it work to sautee the vegetables instead of pressure cooking them? I don't know how to do it... though I do own a cooker.

Your soup looks and sounds delicious!

Thanks!

Mansi said...

Anita - you can boil them if you want, or just put them in the cooker, add a little water, and allow to make 3 whistles. Saute will not have the same effect as boiling, as the veggies when pureed will have a bit of a raw taste, which doesn't go well in a soup!

Anita said...

Maybe that's what was wrong with the other celery soup I tried today? I'll have to dig out the pressure cooker and see if I can figure it out. I bought it a couple of years ago but never learned to use it.