Roasted Cauliflower and Bell Pepper Soup


I think the major reason people flock to the western coasts of California is the beautiful weather that we are blessed with. But looks like mother nature is playing games with this blessing that we have started taking for granted. It's been record lows this winter, and we have to turn on the heater every night! Well, not that I should complain a lot though, because a lot of my friends in the east coast have a way more hard time shovelling their driveways and uncovering their snow-clad cars in the morning, layered themselves in jerseys and overcoats. Anyways, one of the ways I think we can comfort ourselves against the cold is fuel our bodies with something hot, healthy and delicious. Yes, you guessed it right - Soups! Generally when we think about making soups, we go with chosen favorites like tomatoes, pumpkins, mushrooms, chicken or veggies in a creamy broth. But recently I came across a cauliflower soup recipe on Southern Living, and it caught my eye. I had also seen a tomato-bell-pepper soup on Coffee's blog, so I decided to combine the two and make this simple recipe for a rich, healthy and totally comforting Roasted Cauliflower and Bell Pepper Soup!! The best part is right from the time you start roasting the peppers in the oven, your kitchen is filled with a fragrant and soothing aroma. Combine that with cauliflower cooking in sauteed garlic and you have a winner:)

Ingredients
6 large red bell peppers
1 tbspn olive oil
2-3 cloves of garlic - minced
2 tspn salt (adjust to taste)
1/4 tspn cayenne or red chilli powder
1 medium-sized cauliflower - cut into florets
1 tbspn sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice (adjust to taste)
freshly ground pepper
fresh chives - chopped, for garnish
1 tspn cream - for garnish

Method
Turn on the oven with the broiler set to high. Arrange bell peppers skin side up on baking sheet. Broil, watching carefully, until skins are blackened, about 10 minutes. Remove peppers from oven and let them cool. Peel over a bowl to collect juices; set peppers and juices aside.

In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat olive oil on low flame. Add garlic, salt, and cayenne and cook for 2 mins. Add water and cauliflower. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 mins. Add bell peppers with juices and cook, covered, until cauliflower is tender, say 10 more mins. Puree in batches in a blender and add sugar and salt as per your taste. Finally add in the lemon juice and freshly ground black pepper.

Serve the Roasted Bell-Pepper and Cauliflower soup while its hot, garnished with a drizzle of cream and some chives! I so enjoyed this soup last night, my legs folded under me on my couch, watching a series of my favorite show - "Friends"; I didn't even care that it was in the low 40's outside!(and yeah, that's chilly for California weather guys!!)


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





29 comments :

FH said...

Beautiful gorgeous color!!
Happy new year Mansi. At last, holiday season is over and I am back!:D

Roni said...

what a fabulous combination!

Anonymous said...

wow, this looks really nice and comforting!

-Jahnvi

Anonymous said...

you are so true about the snow shovelling part!! I hate it hate it hate it!!

but I totally love your soup:)

-Angela

Manasi said...

Ahh!! lookit that colour!!!!! Super!!!

Meera said...

Simply superb!
But today I had a hard time getting to your blog, dear. When I click on your name in my blog, it says blogger not avaialble.
Happy 2008, Mansi!

Anonymous said...

Best wishes for this new year!

Anonymous said...

beautiful looking soup! and great flavors combined for a healthy meal:)

my first visit to your blog, and i'm coming back everyday!

-Derek

Coffee and Vanilla said...

Thank you Mansi for sharing this recipe. I added it to my "recipes to try" on del.icio.us :)

Happy New Year!

Margot

Anonymous said...

this soup looks wonderful. I want to try it!

Namratha said...

Looks hearty and comforting Mansi, good one!

And hey you should publish your poems too, for the world to read :)

Mansi said...

Thanks people! glad you'll liked it! its interesting how simple things can be combined to make a lovely dish, right?!

Namratha - maybe 3 years ago I could've gone for it, but now...I just have one of my poems framed and kept in my house..rest of them are sleeping in the book:)

test it comm said...

This soup sounds really tasty! Roasting vegetables really brings out their flavour. And then to use them in a soup...mmm...

amna said...

i rem drooling over this in coffee's blog :) nice one!

EC said...

Thats a lovely soup for the winters

TheCooker said...

Beautiful colour!

Happy New Year, Mansi.

Mandy said...

happy new year Mansi. Cauliflower and bell peppers are two of my favorite vegetables. I must make this soup as soon as I get the red bell pepper!

Raks said...

Lovely soup mansi and happy new year to you!

Rajitha said...

Happy New Year Mansi..that soup looks downright delicious!! will give it a try for sure :)

Chef Jeena said...

Hey Mansi I love this soup what a great combination of veggies. I would love a bowl of this lovely soup pass me a spoon please. :-)

Daily Meals said...

Wow! The soup looks so delicious Mansi!

Suganya said...

A lovely photo for a lovely recipe.

Lisa Johnson said...

That soup looks so good and warm! It was horribly cold today. The wind chill factor was seven below zero! It looks like a good one to try. Thanks for dropping by my blog too. You have quite a nice one here! : D

Sagari said...

soup looks sooooo think and comforting mansi

Seena said...

Very good color!
will try this.

Coffee and Vanilla said...

I made the soup! Delicious!
I will post pictures soon :)
Thank you for sharing this recipe... Margot

Mansi said...

margot, that's great! I know you were hooked to this soup right from the beginning:) I'm glad you liked it!

Kribha said...

Just perfect for the season. I always prefer soups like these than clear broth soups. The color is so inviting.

Shradha said...

Interesting combination .. I love the color it has .. I am going to try it when I crave soup this week .. its going to be really cold here :)
Thanks for the recipie.