Thai Fried Banana with Ice Cream


No one who has ever visited a Thai restaurant would have come out without tasting the delicious Thai Fried Banana and ice cream dessert!! It was a unique experience for me when I first tasted it. It was so simple to comprehend, yet unique in its own way. Right from that day, I knew I would have to try this some day and when I came across this recipe at abc.net which uses spring roll wrappers to make this delicacy, I tried to modify it by using all-purpose flour as I already had it in my home. The end result was beautiful, as expected and I absolutely recommend this quick and easy banana dessert that even your kids will enjoy!!

Ingredients
6-8 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 tbsp powdered sugar
1 egg - beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 pinch of salt
4 medium bananas (the firmer, the better)
oil (for frying)

Method
Mix together the flour, sugar, egg, milk and salt to make a smooth, paste-like batter. Do not add all the milk initially. Keep adding a little at a time and stir continuously so that no lumps are formed and the batter retains a thick coatable consistency. It should not be too liquid. Leave to rest for 40-45 mins.
Now peel the bananas and slice each one in half lengthwise, then across into 4 pieces for each. If your bananas are smaller and thinner, you can just cut them into halves.Dip the banana pieces into the batter and shallow fry in hot oil for a few minutes or until golden brown.

Drain quickly on a paper towel, and serve warm! These go best with coconut or vanilla ice cream, castor sugar, maple syrup or whip cream! Drizzle some chocolate syrup on the top and add a bright red cherry to complete the presentation.

This tasty and delicious treat is on it's way to Mandira's Ahaar to dazzle this month's JFI:Banana Event!:)


If you liked this post, please subscribe to our feed so you'd never miss a recipe or article again!





19 comments :

KellytheCulinarian said...

Wow, what a dessert. I could go for one right now.

Kajal said...

Very creative idea my dear looks perfect.....if you like then you contribute this recipe to JFI-banana event my dear...:-)

amna said...

wow! the banana fry is like the "ethakaapam" we have as snacks for tea in Kerala.

Seena said...

delicious!
will try this, thanks for the recipe..

Sreelu said...

Hey Mansi, Nice blog going here, I see you are from North CA as well, well glad to meet a blog neighbour.

FH said...

Jamaica has Rum fries bananas topped with Ice Cream too.Looks yum.I make it sometimes for kids,without Rum of course!

Padma said...

I need to try this, what a great looking dessert it is!

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

You are right. Fried Banana with Icecream is really unique experiance.

Yours is very Delicious blog, I must say

Finla said...

mmmm Delicious dessert fried banana and ice cream who woudn't love it

Swaruchy said...

Nice One Mansi....Very creative...Looks great...A must-try dessert :-)

Coffee said...

UFF!!!!! This is TO-DIE-For!!

Mansi said...

Thanks everyone for the tons of comments!!

Coffee, welcome back!! and pls don't die for this:)

Sreelu, nice meeting u...whee in CA e you?

Kajal, Kelly,Padma, Hare Krishnaji, Sirisha - invite me when you'll make this 'coz I just can't seem to have enough!!:)

Asha, I know about the Rum!! in fact we had eaten that by mistake at a restaurnt once:) since then i prefer making it at home:)

Chef Jeena said...

Hey Mansi great recipe it looks so yummy with the ice cream. We make bananas in a simular way we call them banana fritters. :)

Tee said...

Awesome! you won't believe me if i tell you, I haven't tasted this yet. everytime we go to a thai restaurant we decide to try this, but by the time we are done with our meal, we are so full that we cannot imagine eating any more :)) now i can try this at home...Thanks! :)

Mandira said...

wow, looks fab mansi! Thanks for your entry.

Viji said...

I have heard of this before but never tried,I should really try it once.Ur pic looks really good.keep up the good work.

Mansi said...

Viji, thanks a lot! the support from all of you helps keep me going!! it really does!!

Sreelu said...

Manasi,

Bayarea (San Jose) how about you ?

Kerry D-C said...

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I first tried this when I went to Vietnam. mmmmmmmm....mmmmmmmm....! Can't wait to try it!